New [to me] 13" x 5" south bend

Here are a couple more updated pics. Note the powder coated door, chip pan and legs and painted bed, base ,headstock and saddle. Not a perfect match but darn close. I'll be doing the headstock, gear box, reverse lever and apron rebuilds next. Note also the spindle bearing caps are not painted. They were on loan so shim packs could be made. I got an extra set in trade for the loan of the caps to cover my shipping and insurance on them. If someone needs a nicely made shim pack set for a 13", PM me. Hopefully it is ok to mention that? Ski

South bend 13 003.JPG South bend 13 004.JPG South bend 13 002.JPG South bend 13 001.JPG

Ski,

Your work all looks very good. I don't think I have read of anybody using powder coating on a South Bend before. It looks good and, I think, is a good idea.

Vlad

Looks simply awesome! Best of all, you're providing some much need motivation for me to press-on with my CL-148B rehab. I'm even doing a similar color though, though as a Naval Aviator I couldn't resist doing my '67 beauty in Rustoleum Industrial 7400 Navy Gray... it's "haze gray and underway" even in the garage!

I'm spray painting the entire lathe, but will price ceramic coating the chip pan to try and address the chemical/ abrasion assault. Just hope my "beer budget" will afford the coating "champagne taste." Anyways, very much looking forward to your continued progress, thanks sharing it.

Ski, she's looking real nice, keep the pics coming as We really enjoy watching someones project come together.

As others have said, it is looking great. It looks like a very similar color to the one I used on my 1941 heavy 10. Sherwin Williams gauntlet Grey.
Subscribed

Hello Ski,

Your lathe is looking real nice... :) I had a 13" Southbend a couple of years ago, but the ways were worn quite badly so I sold it. I do miss it as it was so quiet to run compared the the Colchester I have now.

I think that the price was just about right with the ways in such good shape on yours.

Keep up the good work... :)

Brian

Thank you everyone for the nice comments. I'd have to agree that seeing someone else's project from start to finish is interesting. I think I looked at every single one on several machining groups. I hope to see others as well. Going to be a busy summer so I will be on this off and on. My Heavy 10L buyer just backed out so I may finish that repaint after this although the machine itself needs no work. I did not repaint the cabinet or bed on that one. Ski

Update: New [to me] 13" x 5' south bend

Hello Everyone, Just wanted to update the progress. I have been sidetracked with some home remodeling so progress is at a simmer pace. I have reassembled the saddle and cross slide, compound after paint. I have also made the spinner handle for the tailstock hand wheel from original drawings from latheman2. I have cleaned up the Rohm 4 jaw independent chuck which is like new and have the keys almost done. I will get a jump on this soon. I have a bunch of stuff ready to reassemble as soon as this Kitchen is done. Ski

South Bend 13 handwheel 001.JPG South Bend 13 handwheel 003.JPG South Bend 13 handwheel 004.JPG South Bend 13 handwheel 006.JPG

Beautiful work Ski!

Paint looks great. I sand blasted / powder coated the base of my 10L and couldn't be happier with it. A bargain based on the time and effort it would have taken (lathe is enough work in itself :lmao:).

Love the SB 13 and keep it going!

Sure looks like my Model CLC145B, a June 25, 1958, shipped 13" x 5 foot. I'm thinking a good cleaning is all mine needs. I sure enjoy looking at yours apart.:))

SB13-1.jpg

John

SB13-1.jpg

Reactions: Ski
Back