New [to me] 13" x 5" south bend

Ski,

Do you have a spindle speed badge for your 13"??? I've seen an original one inside the cone pulley cover somewhere. On mine, the good staff at Cal Poly Pomona (my Alma Mater and one of the previous owners of the lathe) made a large plate with the speeds stamped in. These are the same speeds as listed in HTRAL.

View attachment 90788

It's right above the feed/threading chart on the gearbox.

John
Yes ,If you look close up a few photos,you can see one pic with the cone pulley/ belt cover open. It is on the left. It was not on the lathe originally but I got one from Latheman2 (Ted). At that time he had some for 10L's and 13's in both Alum and Brass. I like the one you have.It is nicely done !Ski

Another small update.I have gotten some more work done on the 13" recently. You can see some progress. Headstock is done and adjusted, gear box is about to be reassembled. Making a new gear door thumb bolt for the next project. I am going to knurl this which I have only done a few times so it may not be the prettiest knurl job ! Also note the addition of the Footmaster casters. I purchased these from Caster depot [eBay] and went through a short but sweet process with them and Footmaster directly to very quickly solve a movement issue that was attributed to pad compression. It was not real bad but was of concern. Some may not agree with casters on a lathe but it works best for me. Please read the other post "leveling pad plans" for the nitty gritty on that. The caster pn# I finally used is a new pn# now [ GD-120S-BLK-001] and it is a modification to an existing caster that was rated at 2200 lbs each with recommended load of 4400 lbs on 4. It was originally made with a 16mm stud which was to large to fit the 13" South Bend. The modification they are doing is the same caster with a 1/2 stud. I did not want to drill out the cast iron by hand which is doable but could be a real " not fun" project. If I would have thought of it sooner, I could have flipped the base over and drilled them oversize on the drill press. I do not know how long it will take them to get them out but using my experience as an indicator I doubt it will take them long. Once on pads this is solid and rolls easy when on the wheels. It is actually more solid than my 10L heavy 10 is on oversize pads. I am getting there ! Ski

Are the casting holes strong enough to hold "up" the lathe and role it around , i thought the holes were to bolt it down to the floor . I'm needing to make my 10L mobile but was going to make a steal frame w/casters & leveling pads..

Are the casting holes strong enough to hold "up" the lathe and role it around , i thought the holes were to bolt it down to the floor . I'm needing to make my 10L mobile but was going to make a steal frame w/casters & leveling pads..
What I found is that the entire weight of the machine is supported at the holes only. The actual " pad " under the machine at the hole locations is almost exactly the diameter of the leveling caster mounting pad. The caster I ended up using has a solid Aluminum pad. The company said they were going to prodice it with a 1/2 stud so it fits the machines. Look back in my postings for a full explaination. Rolls easily on these. Levels easily using a 15/16 wrench.Sits solid with no pad bounce when the pads are adjusted down. Not recommended by some but did exactly what I wanted it to do. I also did a video on it to show company the bounce problem I had with poly pads. PM me if you want it. Ski

Yes ,If you look close up a few photos,you can see one pic with the cone pulley/ belt cover open. It is on the left. It was not on the lathe originally but I got one from Latheman2 (Ted). At that time he had some for 10L's and 13's in both Alum and Brass. I like the one you have.It is nicely done !Ski

OK, I see the speed badge in one of the shots. I have the bearing adjustment instructions but no speed chart or holes for a missing one. But the big home made one has some personality. My machine is June 1958 and evidently didn't have the "Flame Hardened" badge either.

John

OK, I see the speed badge in one of the shots. I have the bearing adjustment instructions but no speed chart or holes for a missing one. But the big home made one has some personality. My machine is June 1958 and evidently didn't have the "Flame Hardened" badge either.

John
I know Latheman had some in Alum or brass. He had them for 10L's as well in both. I agree with you though,I like yours as is and well home made anything ! Ski

This is the last update I'll make to this. This ended up being a double post too. Sorry about that,ski

Last edited:
This is it for this project. I have been using the lathe and love it. I did some welding and tractor work for a friend and he made me the tooling drawer box to my dimmensions after I welded up a wheeled frame with screw down lock pads. Just about all the tooling will fit. It is made out of old crates and wood road signs that have been replaced with metal. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg The lathe has the spider chucked up that I am whittling out to fit the left side of the spindle. I want to thank all those that helped me off and on and also those that followed or offered support. Moderators bear with me if I did something wrong in this new format ! Ski

Congratulations! It came out very nice, was a lot of fun watching you work on her.

Back