New [to me] 13" x 5" south bend

Hello,
Can you post some detailed pics of the banjo assembly?I need specifically to see the pinion slide knob and related parts.

I could really use some dimensions on the pinion knob,the tooth count on the slide pinion gear.

I have a "13" and it would help greatly if I knew what was needed to complete the Primary Drive Assembly.

I will post a pic of the Banjo and the missing Slide Gear Assembly(which bolts to the center hole)that is currently empty.

Mine was Manufactured in 1941 but I believe they share the same Headstock Assembly.

Thanks man.
Ok ,I took a couple shots of the side. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Re: New [to me] 13" x 5" south bend

I like the fit of it. The spindle looks good from the side ! Any parts from the parts lathe for sale!

I have an apron, about complete except for the traverse hand wheel. Remember, it's for a Leblond. I may have other Leblond parts available if I can talk the boss to let them loose.

John

Re: New [to me] 13" x 5" south bend

I have an apron, about complete except for the traverse hand wheel. Remember, it's for a Leblond. I may have other Leblond parts available if I can talk the boss to let them loose.

John
Good to know as I know someone fixing one. That said,I'd like to find a later year taper to fit a 13. Probly be to expensive tho.

Hi Ski,

Merry X-mas/ Happy holidays and New Year !
I just noticed your post of your SB13, beautiful looking lathe, the restoration is coming along real nice
I jotted down the paint u used for future reference. Did u use the Sherwin Williams powder coat to SPRAY it on
or was it brushed.
What did you hoist up the bedways-Harbor Freight tools sells a cherry picker
(engine hoist?) capable of approx 2000lbs just wondering what you used?
Just sold my SB 9 model C looking to upgrade to a SB 10 or 11L -a little concerned about the taking it apart
and the moving it(due to the weight)

Good luck with the resto !

Razinman

Hi Ski,

Merry X-mas/ Happy holidays and New Year !
I just noticed your post of your SB13, beautiful looking lathe, the restoration is coming along real nice
I jotted down the paint u used for future reference. Did u use the Sherwin Williams powder coat to SPRAY it on
or was it brushed.
What did you hoist up the bedways-Harbor Freight tools sells a cherry picker
(engine hoist?) capable of approx 2000lbs just wondering what you used?
Just sold my SB 9 model C looking to upgrade to a SB 10 or 11L -a little concerned about the taking it apart
and the moving it(due to the weight)

Good luck with the resto !

Razinman
Hello, The paint is a sherwin williams match to a powder coat. The powder coat color is called Mouse gray. I chose this because it has a RAL number which can be used to match it at most paint stores. The sherwin Williams paint is a oil based industrial paint. I added a leveling compound to help ease the brush/ roller marks. Powder coat is applied with specialized equipment and then baked at 350 degrees for aprox. 20 minutes. It is sort of like talcum powder until it is baked. It then melts and bonds to the metal. Any pits or casting flaws must be fill with a metal filler or powder will not bond. We filled a few but left most. I did not remove the bed from the large iron base . I simply degreased,sanded and painted it with brush and roller. I removed the leg assembly,chip tray leveling assembly and had those parts powder coated lond with most parts that are not precision ground or scrapped. You cannot powder coat anything that will not take the heat such as any parts that have the babbit metal like the left gear cover,Right side lead screw bearing,large lathe base. Note that gear box,apron,tailstock,headstock and bed are not powder coated either. These are all precision machined and scraped parts and I did not want to risk any warping or twisting. All these are stripped,sanded,primed and painted. There is absolutly no reason you could not paint the whole machine like many others have. I chose to do some powder coat mostly because my Cousin has a powder coating business. Powder coat is tough so I think the chip tray will hold up to abuse better than paint. It is easier to touch up a painted machine but powder coat can be scuffed up and painted as well., A cherry picker could handle disassembly but work safe ! This one weighs in at 1800 give or take. I used one to pull the right side leg off and the rested the bed on 10 x 10 cribbing while powder was done. You can see some of this in the early pictures. Hope I answered your questions. Please also note that I did not think it was better to strip off ALL the old paint as long as it was solid. No offense to those that go that route. I simply sanded after a lot of degreasing, primed bare iron and painted. Penetrol was the leveling compound I added to the paint. Columbia coatings is the powder coat supplier my cousin uses. Check their RAL colors. Ski

Hi Ski,
Thank you for the explanation, that's really going to help me.I just painted the steel columns in my basement with
Gray Rustoleum with a roller/brush-it came out fine I was just curious as to what other people on this forum were doing.
As far as lifting the bed ways I think of getting professional help if need be-I don't want any accidents.

Thanks again for the reply,

razinman

Hi Ski,
Thank you for the explanation, that's really going to help me.I just painted the steel columns in my basement with
Gray Rustoleum with a roller/brush-it came out fine I was just curious as to what other people on this forum were doing.
As far as lifting the bed ways I think of getting professional help if need be-I don't want any accidents.

Thanks again for the reply,

razinman
Nothing wrong with being extra safe. That said,you could use a cherry picker and a buddy to take it apart. Just ask for some guidance on this group before you attack the heavier parts. I used my hoist to rebuild my Lagun mill as well. Completly disassembled that too. I made several attachments to lift each part level and safe. Good luck ! Ski

I am sorry these pics posted in various wrong positions. After a bunch of tries I was able to reorient the pics. The dang things are upright in my photos? I edited by rotating them 360 degrees and resaving them, exactly like they were! It then seem to work !

Last edited:
Hello Ski,

What an awesome job you did on your lathe... :) You should be very proud and satisfied with the work that you did ... :drink:

I'm so glad that you were able to get the pics righted... my neck was getting sore... ;)

Brian :)

Ski,

Do you have a spindle speed badge for your 13"??? I've seen an original one inside the cone pulley cover somewhere. On mine, the good staff at Cal Poly Pomona (my Alma Mater and one of the previous owners of the lathe) made a large plate with the speeds stamped in. These are the same speeds as listed in HTRAL.

100_8505.JPG

It's right above the feed/threading chart on the gearbox.

John

100_8505.JPG

Back