New Project --- "The Catfish Reaper"

Re: New Project

Bill, while following this project, I was visualizing your holders as being able to swivel in their sockets, at the mercy of the feisty cat, yet also having a 'panic' feature. That is, when the moment strikes, you'd grab the rod, lift it out, and the two halves would fall away (retained by a chain or cords of course), allowing you to do battle unemcumbered.

Is this the right picture? If so, how would the sides of the taper allow this?

Have you run this by QC?

You have it slightly wrong. You do see that tapered slot in the male Taper. A pin goes thru the female and thru that slot. The slot is tapered so that it will force the males apart while raising it via the pin and also the pin will stop the two haves from disappearing into the pond.

"Billy G"

QC (Molly) is watching very closely at this point.

I am going to pour only one and see how it goes. Maybe tomorrow.

"Billy G"

One female is bored to 1.187. This will be poured tomorrow. Sure hope this works?

"Billy G"

102_0817 (850 x 565).jpg

Just catching up on this thread Bill, love your method for taper turning the male part!
A small discussion is needed at this point. I had a thought on the Taper (Female). The thought amounts to Hard taper ( metal to metal) versus Soft taper ( RV Silicone to Metal). Instead of cutting the female taper just cut straight thru at 1.250 diameter. Place the two parts together and pour the mixed silicone. Perfect fit and some resilience to the joint. Your thoughts please?
My concern would be the RTV getting chopped out by heavy use.

Cheers Phil

Last edited by a moderator:

Good thought about the RTV Phil. While talking to another friend he told me to use a Casting Resin and mix Graphite into it. Said his looks new and is 4 years old.

"Billy G"

Just need to coat parts with De-bonder and pour. Tomorrow should be a fun day. It takes 24 hours of curing before parts can be separated. The wood piece will stop the Resin from flowing out the bottom.

"Billy G"

102_0818 (850 x 565).jpg

Need a little more prep time. A skim coat of filler is needed to get the profile of the male taper correct. Can't have the resin build up in the low spot can we?

"Billy G"

102_0819 (850 x 565).jpg

All poured. Now comes the hard part, resisting taking it apart before the 24 hour curing time is up.

"Billy G"

102_0821 (850 x 565).jpg

Uh-Oh --- The resin level dropped drastically. No leaks visible. Where is it going??? I broke it down and it's a good thing I did. The resin was seeping between the two male parts. If I had left it and refilled it, it would have been a disaster. I never would have gotten it apart. Going to do it the old way and cut the females. Back at it tomorrow. Today is not a waste though, I learned something. If resin can find a way out it will.

"Billy G"

Back