New Project --- "The Catfish Reaper"

Re: New Project

One down, one to go. Just a little clean up to do.Tedious work. I live for this stuff. :lmao::lmao: UH-OH QC is back.

"Billy G"

102_0810 (850 x 565).jpg

That's two and I'm done. Tomorrow the mating parts. They are the last two parts needed.

"Billy G"

102_0811 (850 x 565).jpg

My first thought was to weld the holders. But then what would happen if something broke. They will be screwed on.

"Billy G"

102_0812 (850 x 565).jpg

They are done. Fit is perfect. Just enough room to line them. Next up are the sockets these fit into.

"Billy G"

102_0813 (850 x 565).jpg

Two pieces to go, the "Sockets". Then it all clean up from there.

"Billy G"

102_0814 (850 x 565).jpg

It's a new day and time to get back at it. Someone asked why I did the Tapers the way I did. Easy one to answer, there is no top slide on my lathe. I took it off to get the Cross Slide Rigidity I needed. Yes I can do everything a lathe with the top slide can do. I cut threads, inside and outside. I cut tapers, male and female. I have yet to run into something my lathe won't do. I am a traind machinist that is not afraid to move out of the envelope. Sometimes I machine by the seat of my pants.

"Billy G"

First base hole is done. I used my new cutter grinder to reduce the size of that end mill from .750 to .720. This gives me a .015 cleanup to finisf the inside taper. This taper like the others will be done with a form tool made from a .375 square HSS toll blank. I have a couple of dozen that are 8 inches long.

"Billy G"

102_0815 (850 x 565).jpg

I'm not a 'noodler' and have intentions of starting. I've seen pics of noodlers that cornered a moccasin and had a bad day after that. I have a hard enough time typing (pecking, actually) responses as it is. Can't imagine what it would be like with nine (or less) digits.

Yeah, with my luck, if I noodled a snapping turtle, he would probably bite off my typing finger.

Tom

Not a heck of a lot done today. Just the pilot holes for the form tool. For my way to work correctly they have to be straight. Any deviation and the form tool will follow it. This is why I use the long end mill on the last cut, it is much more rigid. Hopefully I will get these done this week end.

"Billy G"

102_0816 (850 x 565).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

A small discussion is needed at this point. I had a thought on the Taper (Female). The thought amounts to Hard taper ( metal to metal) versus Soft taper ( RV Silicone to Metal). Instead of cutting the female taper just cut straight thru at 1.250 diameter. Place the two parts together and pour the mixed silicone. Perfect fit and some resilience to the joint. Your thoughts please?

"Billy G"

Back