New 1340GT in the shop

WOW! .....That's perfect! just the stuff I wanted to see. Thank you very much, enjoy that machine.
My Mill arrives at my Miami freight forwarders tomorrow. Then the longest two weeks in history for it to arrive here in the shop! :)
Raining bucket-a-drop here, Spent the day cleaning out the shop, but just one project and it's surely mayhem all over again!! :rolleyes:

Glad I could help.

I here you. Had to pay a rigging company to deliver both my mill and my lathe on account of my awkward gravel driveway. Cost an arm and a leg. My next house and shop will be flat and paved and the shop will be larger. When they delivered the mill I was a nervous wreck until it got into its final spot.

Still got some things I need to tweak on the mill as far as it’s stability on the floor. Probably make a separate post for that.

Best of luck to you.

Ok gents. I took the front cover off the gear box because the gears seems really stiff. I found this. I thought oil was supposed to drop down on these gears. I assume this is way too much grease? Maybe not. What should be done if anything? The oil holes are clogged with this factory grease. I know you guys make custom oilers. That's not gonna happen any time soon. More looking for the temporary solution.

Thanks,

Zack

EB100071-88D0-4762-A772-63D5FF8B4784.jpeg

Clean off the shipping grease with a solvent and brush, then use oil dripped from above instead of grease on the Norton gearbox.

Roger thank you for that.

Next question. I set the gears to cut a 24 TPI thread (C6). Had everything engaged correctly (I think) and couldn't get the carriage to engage on any of the numbers. The manual says for 24 TPI I can start on any number 1-8. I must be missing something.

How it was set up.
4ACF65D7-9456-4E0E-818D-66611A758F29.jpeg

I'm sure you guys get tired of answering easy questions but I really do appreciate the help.

Are you trying to engage the half-nut, is the lead screw turning? The lathe should be running when engaging the half-nut. With regard to the gearbox, per what David outlined clean off all the grease and pump fresh oil through all the holes. I would consider a pump oiler system eventually with a distribution manifold. This has been posted in other threads.

Back