New 1340GT in the shop

Serpico1985

Registered
Registered
Hey guys,

I finally got my 1340GT single phase I ordered in November. I worked myself up worrying about lifting it on an engine hoist reading about other members difficulty. But it worked out well.

I had to take it off the double pallet it came on and get it lifted high enough that my barrowed engine hoist could fit under the pallet it's bolted to.

As it came out of the box:
IMG_9553.jpg

Set on blocks to allow my engine hoist to get under it:
IMG_9569.jpg

While it was in the garage I cleaned it up and got all/most of the heavy grease off that it ships with. I swapped out the belt for a better one too as that is a universal recommendation. I assembled the stand, installed the leveling feet and rigged the lathe on the hoist:
IMG_9573.jpg

It only took about 5 tries lifting it to get it to stay balanced. It was a little tricky getting the bolt holes to line up but all things considered not very difficult.

Here it is installed:
IMG_9576.jpg

I purchased the PM 4 jaw, PM 5c collet chuck, high precision drill chuck, PM DRO and enough extra oil to do the first oil change after it gets broken in. I previously bought a Dorian BXA QCTP kit.

I barrowed a 15" machinist leveled the bed left to right, then got all the twist out. After getting the twist out I checked the left to right level and it was off only by a very small amount. I won't worry about it until I do the final leveling/test cut procedure.

Quick question. To wire this for power I have a buddy who is a former electrician. The motor for this lathe is 2hp, 11.5 amps. We were planning on using a 20 amp circuit breaker and 10 gauge wire for power. Only other thing that will draw power is the lamp. Does that sound right regarding the wiring and breaker?

Thanks for everyone who helped me figure out what I want and the plethora of info on this lathe that the forum generates.

Zack

Congratulations nice looking machine and setup.

These kinds of lathes are really easy to move around with an engine hoist. Even the 2500 pound Takisawa was easy enough
to lift and position that way. They provided a couple holes through the base to insert rods to lift from. Of course it helps to set the base on some kind of risers so the hoist legs can clear…but for most of us, these lathes are a bit low anyway.

A general recommendation on lifting is to use two additional straps, one through the headstock and one to the tailstock end, also make sure everything is locked down. If it is balanced and anything shifts it can get out of hand very quickly. I ultimately made lifting D rings for lifting my lathe along with the jack straps.

Breaker size for a motor is not only a function of the running amps, but the motor start-up amps and load. Typically with no load you want a breaker about 2X the running amps. It also depends on the type of breaker and the trip curve. A 20A breaker with 10G wire should be OK, you also could go to a 30A breaker with 10G wire.

Lift.jpg

Congratulations. November??
I hope you have access to a 10" or 12" machinists level to get the twist out of the bed.
The carpenters level isn't going to cut it.
You have an accurate lathe, set it up to perform as designed.
You will want to level it to .0002" in 10" front to back. side to side doesn't really matter.
I use precision 123 blocks on the flats of the ways and a precision level.
I'm sure there will be others that will agree and disagree.
Ask the pros.
Again, congratulations.

A 15 amp breaker and 12 gauge wire should be fine for 240 volt operation
I would not try to run a motor that size on 120 volts
-Mark

Thanks for the info guys.

One more dumb question. The manual shows where to hook up power for the single phase motor, the R and S terminals. There’s no mention of a ground wire. Can anyone advise?

Thanks
Zack

There is a ground terminal on the bottom of the cabinet, make sure any paint is removed, the motor ground wire should also be attached to the same point.

Hey guys,

I finally got my 1340GT single phase I ordered in November. .....To wire this for power I have a buddy who is a former electrician. ...
Okay, I'll ask, what did your buddy do to lose his job... might want to ask before he does any work.

I kid, I kid.

Back