My new Sheldon has landed and I have many questions!

Also I was thinking about a bostar. Seems like they generally have a better rep than the complete no names out there though maybe they are all the same.
I've put a number of Bostar QCTPs on lathes and so far they've all been fine...no grit, rust, etc in them. I have Aloris QCTPs on my Logan 14" and Clausing 14" and while they're a touch nicer than the Bostar it's mostly fit/finish/feel and absolutely no difference in repeatability.

I'd say probably AXA for your lathe. I have a BXA on my 13" Sheldon and it's a good fit. The key variable is the height distance from the top of the compound to the center of the spindle. You can measure from the top of the compound to the tip of a center held in the tailstock if that's easier (doesn't have to be exact).

AXA is good for 1" to 1.75"
BXA is good for 1.25" to 2"

As an example, my 13" Sheldon measures 1.75" from the top of the compound to center, so an AXA would probably need shims to get the tools on center where BXA puts the tools right in the middle of the adjustment range.

What's weird is that the lathe swing doesn't really mean much. My 14" Clausing measures 1.5", so a fair amount less than the 13" Sheldon. My 14" Logan is 1.80" so just barely more than the Sheldon.

I have a BXA toolpost that came on my 1953ish Sheldon EXL-56B (10" lathe). It works, but the adjustment locknuts on the toolholder blocks are right at the top of the thread (tools almost as low as they can go). For my lathe an AXA would probably be a better fit, but since yours is an 11" lathe it might work well with the BXA...I'm guessing either would work.

That's a lot of gears that it came with! Not sure of the standard gear setup for the older lathes; mine has the double lever QCGB.

Yes, those big round things are thread protectors for use with a collet closer. I can take pictures of my collet closer setup if needed -I just got it figured out last week for a job.

Join the sheldon.io email group - there's tons of info and documentation though the format is a bit weird.

Congrats! You need to search up a manual I think. I can’t answer many of your questions.

I would see if that thing that looks like a spindle thread protector fits. If so, then that’s what it is.

Regarding the random extra parts, I have 2 theories.
1. Machinists are packrats. Some PO picked them up sometime and kept them “just in case”.
2. Machinists who aren’t the actual owner pile up all the extras from whatever machines they use. Those piles of stuff sit for decades. Eventually anybody who knew what they were for is dead. You have taken possession of a random pile of stuff that’s traveled with that lathe since who knows when.

I would use AXA. But others will suggest larger sizes. Dealers choice I reckon.

And yeah you read the electrical diagram right. It’s wired 220.

Good luck with the lathe, and good luck finding the rest of the answers!
congradulations i got one 50 years ago and never used it i specialized in wood so it was a toy i just started cleaning it up it is on my bucket list as i received a machinest box from my grandfather years so now my boys will get everything from me i think i have the same motor there use to be a wooden box mounted on the bench behind the lathe that held the chucks and milling attachment i am looking for pictures and a size of this box to duplicate i did already duplicate the drawer inserts using a pattern bit in a small router very easy and precision match thank you Les

hi i was wondering how you made out with replacing your belts and did you get all the drawers with your sheldon lathe as i do have some locksets and drawer insert samples thank you Les

The belts weren’t too bad. I was able to cross reference them from the Sheldon 11” lathe parts list. I have all my drawers. My lathe is the military version which has a different cabinet than the normal one. Pulling the spindle on a lathe with plain bearings is really easy. You don’t have to press anything apart just unbolt the caps and lift up.

The belts I used were two 5L520’s for the spindle. One 5L270. One 4L405.

i struggle on a computer however thank you and where did you purchase them? i will learn how to put some pictures on soon i had enough trouble trying to sign up for this however i finally did it There is a cradle that lifts your motor up how thick is the piece of angle iron holding the steel cradle as i dont think mine is original? there was wood inserts in every drawer to hold every tool supplied with the lathe i have most of every tool that gear you show with a sprocket on it i am sure did not go to the lathe did you get the end gears figured out as i have a drawing with the parts list

I’m not sure on the bracket underneath. The belts sizes I gave are the new standard belt numbers. You could search on eBay or go to a hardware store or tractor supply that sells belts and can get them there. I did not get my gears sorted. I am missing my 127 and a 110 gear. I was thinking about modeling them on the computer as one single gear stack and having them 3d printed. I figured doing it that way I wouldn’t have to worry about the gears having to transfer their loads through the keyway.

I have the chart for my metric change gears and believe I have all the required gears other than the big ones.

Back