My new Sheldon has landed and I have many questions!

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
The lathe has made it home safely!
tempImagetrCob2.jpg
Luckily it only had to go 7 miles. It did involve some bumpy country roads and driving slow. As I am looking through this I have some questions.

First is the change gears, from what I can guess I think these are just for metric threading? If so I dont have a 127 gear or an 80 gear. What do you think the other banjo's are for? Also can anyone confirm what the standard inch cutting gear arrangement is supposed to be?

IMG_2699.jpegIMG_2700.jpegIMG_2701.jpegIMG_2698.jpegIMG_2697.jpeg\IMG_2705.jpeg
Also what in the world is this gear??
IMG_2704.jpeg
Second, what is the big round pieces on the collet set, are they just spindle protectors?
IMG_2702.jpeg
What are these mag chuck looking things? They arent magnetic. I have two of them.
IMG_2703.jpeg
I am pretty sure this lathe is wired in 220 as 2 and 3 are bonded together, does that seem correct?
IMG_2707.jpegIMG_2708.jpeg
I am going to some new belts mainly the spindle belts as they are delaminating. Are matched belts a thing nowadays or is your off the shelf belts close enough? Also any idea what size I need?

IMG_2709.jpeg

Current final question, is there a way to adjust backlash in the crossfeed screw/nut?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2706.jpeg
    IMG_2706.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 55
The blocks are for use on a surface grinder wide pole magnetic chuck. They make it easier to hold small parts that aren’t big enough to span multiple poles on the wide pole chuck. The blocks allow more magnetic fields to pass through the work piece. Each field is weaker than what would be accomplished by the wide pole chuck but the additional number of fields will hold the part tighter.

Thought of another question. Does this lathe take an AXA quick change tool post?

Congrats! You need to search up a manual I think. I can’t answer many of your questions.

I would see if that thing that looks like a spindle thread protector fits. If so, then that’s what it is.

Regarding the random extra parts, I have 2 theories.
1. Machinists are packrats. Some PO picked them up sometime and kept them “just in case”.
2. Machinists who aren’t the actual owner pile up all the extras from whatever machines they use. Those piles of stuff sit for decades. Eventually anybody who knew what they were for is dead. You have taken possession of a random pile of stuff that’s traveled with that lathe since who knows when.

I would use AXA. But others will suggest larger sizes. Dealers choice I reckon.

And yeah you read the electrical diagram right. It’s wired 220.

Good luck with the lathe, and good luck finding the rest of the answers!

I do have the operators manual. I’ll read through it again. It kind of glosses over the collet closer and the change gears. Either that or I glossed over it lol

Before I end up with 4 belts that don’t fit, can anyone confirm those are actually belt numbers. The numbers all seem to correspond to FHP belts.

Attachments

• IMG_2713.jpeg
    IMG_2713.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 13
I'm guessing that machine was built at the latest in either the late 1940's or the early 1950's due to the single lever gear box. As such the belt numbers will be long obsolete. I would remove them and take them to an auto parts store to have them measured.

They will use something like this:

It should give you not only the length, but the width as well. Here's a chart that translates actual widths to industry nomenclature.

On Edit: On a closer look it appears your lathe was originally built for the military. The legs at the headstock end are the giveaway. The machine was intended to be part of a truck mounted mobile machine shop. It would have been mounted in the box of a 2-1/2 ton or 5-ton truck just in front of the rear wheel well. The legs follow the profile of the inner part of the fender.

Last edited:
Really Sweet Deal! Congrats! If you are on facebook, you can join the Sheldon Lathe Group. Very helpful. AXA or BXA will work. I would recommend the Bostar, Wedge style, for the price and fair quality.

Attachments

• Sheldon Lathe Group | Facebook 2.pdf
    38.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Congratulations!

Interesting looking base!

Looking forward to more photos as you put it together.

The bottom ledge on the BXA toolholder, where the tool rests, is .540” thick. AXA is about .100 less. Check your centerline of chuck to top of compound height to determine what will work. Since you are new to this I would suggest the AXA size, since the compound on Sheldons are a lighter duty size than on some other lathes, (if and when you crash).

Back