My new Sheldon has landed and I have many questions!

Halligan142 has a video on how to determine what gears you need to cut metric threads through a QCGB. The video uses a southbend lathe but the formulas should work for any lathe. Just different numbers. Have fun with your new lathe.

Really Sweet Deal! Congrats! If you are on facebook, you can join the Sheldon Lathe Group. Very helpful. AXA or BXA will work. I would recommend the Bostar, Wedge style, for the price and fair quality.

I ended up putting a Bostar wedge AXA on my Logan 9". I like it with some caveats....it looked great on the outside but felt horrible. I pulled it apart and the inside was full of rust and junk. Once I had it soaked in evaporust and thoroughly cleaned it was fine and works well. The company did give me a partial refund when I sent them pics of the internals.

I ended up ordering belts off the numbers in the parts breakdown. I’m hopeful they are correct. The 4 numbers all correspond to belts, seems like an older number style. The other reason I think this is the case is because the bearings in the manual have skf numbers so I think the common commodities have their trade part number in it.

Also I was thinking about a bostar. Seems like they generally have a better rep than the complete no names out there though maybe they are all the same.

I ended up ordering belts off the numbers in the parts breakdown. I’m hopeful they are correct. The 4 numbers all correspond to belts, seems like an older number style. The other reason I think this is the case is because the bearings in the manual have skf numbers so I think the common commodities have their trade part number in it.

Also I was thinking about a bostar. Seems like they generally have a better rep than the complete no names out there though maybe they are all the same.

For sure some type of QCTP. I would never, ever go back to a lantern tool post after switching. So much easier to get the tool on center and keep it on center. Beside which machining the T-Nut to fit your compound slot on the lathe will give you a nice introduction to using the machine.

I’ve got a bridgeport clone and have had a 7x12 lathe for a couple years. I love the 0XA I have on the little lathe.

I think this is the case is because the bearings in the manual have skf numbers so I think the common commodities have their trade part number in it.
I wouldn't be surprised if you're correct in that assumption. When I was looking at your post and picture of the parts sheet last night I was thinking "hmmm, part number GV-3520,...betcha that means "Gates V-belt number 3520..." Hope you're right.

Really Sweet Deal! Congrats! If you are on facebook, you can join the Sheldon Lathe Group. Very helpful. AXA or BXA will work. I would recommend the Bostar, Wedge style, for the price and fair quality.
You don’t have to be a Facebook member to join the Sheldon Lathe Group. It’s open to anyone. As for the bearings and hardware Sheldon did use off the shelf items. However they weren’t always from the same manufacturer.

Each manufacturer uses their own coding. You’ll need to find a cross reference chart for a machine of that age. Many of the early bearing suppliers are long out of business. That doesn’t mean the exact same bearings are no longer available. They are just made by a different company with a different part number.

When I rebuilt the Worthington drive on my 1960 machine it had bearings from a long defunct manufacturer. I was able to cross reference them to ones currently being made by SKF.

One caution about trying to use the original parts manual. Often times machine
Tool builders changed the numbers of purchased parts in their parts list from the original manufacturers in an attempt to capture the replacement parts market. If at all possible get the number directly from the part you intend to replace.

You don’t have to be a Facebook member to join the Sheldon Lathe Group. It’s open to anyone. As for the bearings and hardware Sheldon did use off the shelf items. However they weren’t always from the same manufacturer.

Each manufacturer uses their own coding. You’ll need to find a cross reference chart for a machine of that age. Many of the early bearing suppliers are long out of business. That doesn’t mean the exact same bearings are no longer available. They are just made by a different company with a different part number.

When I rebuilt the Worthington drive on my 1960 machine it had bearings from a long defunct manufacturer. I was able to cross reference them to ones currently being made by SKF.

One caution about trying to use the original parts manual. Often times machine
Tool builders changed the numbers of purchased parts in their parts list from the original manufacturers in an attempt to capture the replacement parts market. If at all possible get the number directly from the part you intend to replace.
As of now I don’t think it needs any bearings I was just citing that part number as a general trade number and feel like the belts are the same. Picture including the bearing for reference. They are cheap ebay belts so I’m not out much if that don’t fit. I found one website and their belt sizes were similar so we will see.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 3
I have 11” Sheldon with overhead drive. On same cabinet. All under drive parts inside. You should find on tail stock end one bolt with spring. Bolt loose when moving. Tighten to use. Yours have the war finish tags? Bought parts to convert to under drive. Was advised by John Knox not to due to getting better finish with overhead drive. Doesn’t make sense to me but didn’t question him. You will like your lathe. Nice machine.

Back