My new Sheldon has landed and I have many questions!

I have 11” Sheldon with overhead drive. On same cabinet. All under drive parts inside. You should find on tail stock end one bolt with spring. Bolt loose when moving. Tighten to use. Yours have the war finish tags? Bought parts to convert to under drive. Was advised by John Knox not to due to getting better finish with overhead drive. Doesn’t make sense to me but didn’t question him. You will like your lathe. Nice machine.
Could you clarify what this bolt is and where the war tags would be?

Also, as you are not the original owner, you should check the the manual that you have oi see whether or not it lists the gears that originally came with the machine. If it does, fine, If it doesn't, you should look for one that does. Note that I am not certain whether or not we have such a manual in D0wnloads but it won't cost you anything to find out. However, actually Downloading anything. because it does cost the site so much per year to make them available, will cost you $10.00 per year for the minimum (silver) Donor status.

Bolt is at tail stock end. Look between ways close to end . Bolt was loose while mobile. Tightened to use. . Was gonna take a picture of bed that came with cabinet but too much stuff in the way. Took my tags off for cleaning lathe and paint. Will have to find old pictures to be sure where they were . Best I remember one on lower left on headstock. One on bed. If yours was built during war years you should be able to see them unless removed.

Slight update on there lathe. I found some online documentation. I thought it was a 10”. Turns out it’s a 11” with a 56” bed. Also I don’t think I stated it but its got the 1 3/8” spindle bore.

2 of the belts I ordered were correct. The spindle belts were a little long. They are off now and I’ll take them in to get sized.

Slight update on there lathe. I found some online documentation. I thought it was a 10”. Turns out it’s a 11” with a 56” bed. Also I don’t think I stated it but its got the 1 3/8” spindle bore.

2 of the belts I ordered were correct. The spindle belts were a little long. They are off now and I’ll take them in to get sized.
Everything I read about my EM56 show 5/8 x 54 belts for the spindle, the old worn belts are embossed UP54, so I feel confident that the 54 inch belts are correct, but the old belts measure at 57 inches. Be cautious on a measurement at the parts store.

I think my belt is supposed to be 52” based on the gates number. I ordered a power drive belt by the gates number and they are big. I noticed that the measurements they give for theirs is 53.27”. I felt like it’s about an inch long. Maybe that one didn’t convey well. The other two power drive bets matched perfect.

when looking online I saw that people were running a longer belt that what the manual I found is. I wonder if mine is setup with a shorter belt to comply with the the cabinet design for fitting on the wheel well of a military truck. Vs the steel cabinets that weren’t designed for the military.

I think my belt is supposed to be 52” based on the gates number. I ordered a power drive belt by the gates number and they are big. I noticed that the measurements they give for theirs is 53.27”. I felt like it’s about an inch long. Maybe that one didn’t convey well. The other two power drive bets matched perfect.
Could also be that they're not wide enough.

Could also be that they're not wide enough.
They look the right thickness. One of the belts I replaced was smaller that it was supposed to be. I had to run the adjustment way loose for the correct belt. It was almost maxed out with the wrong belt.

Got all the belts changed out and adjusted. Got oil in everything and need to run it in. I immediately noticed that it’s got a pretty fast leak from the sump in the apron on the rear. Resealing that has to be a soon project.

Back