My new future shop in TN!

That's good to know. Thanks. I didn't see that button on the site. I have a 20" rotary table that takes up a little more than 1 cubic foot of volume that weighs 400# all by itself...:rofl: I gues they don't have too many people with machine shops making these kinds of moves. :))

Last edited:
I just saw this thread . Any updates? I've traveled thru the area you are moving to multiple times. Very nice country. TN is on my list of states that I'm considering retiring to. If you haven't bought a trailer yet I'd recommend renting or buying a hydraulic drop bed trailer (not a tilting one) such as made by JLG. The bed goes all the way to the ground. With a good pallet jack I've moved my Bridgeport series I and other similar sizelathes and heavier by myself. Push button operation to lift and lower the bed. A winch/come along with some equipment straps work well to pull the pallet jack and machine onto the trailer or off. Just build some nice heavy duty pallets for the machines out of 4X4 and 2X6 and deck screws. I then bolted the machines to the pallets with the biggest ring bolts I could fit (5/8 I think). Then I used multiple commercial cargo straps around the columes/beds to stabilize the upper portions of the machines. I used heavy chain and chain binders over the bases . Put wood between the metal and the chain. Tighten until the chain is tight as a guitar string. Recheck after about a mile and tighten as needed. Check at every stop. I could type a lot more. I've moved several times state to state and individual machines even more and it is the best way to do it. Please PM for my number if you have any questions.
Chris

I did buy the trailer pictured on the second page of this thread. I looked at renting the JLG drop bed trailer but in the end settled on buying the tilt bed trailer. The jury is still out on whether or not it's gonna work for the heavy 6000lb lathe.

I do have some fears about moving some of this stuff since a lathe fell on me last month and I have a broken leg to show for it.:eek: I got lucky that I didn't get crushed, the leg was a clean break, it could have been much much worse. Freaking lathes and mills are so gosh darned top heavy as to be really scary items to move. At this point, I'm rethinking the best way to get my machines down to TN. I got a quote from a local rigger, that would load my machines onto a flatbed trailer and ship it out to Tennessee for $2600, but i still need someone to unload the stuff and place it in TN, If anyone knows of any riggers down in the Greeneville TN area that could unload some machines off of a trailer for me, that would be really helpful.

Marcel

Marcel,
I replied to your message. Feel free to call me in the evening. Very sorry to hear about your injuries. I've had to move and load some big and heavy stuff while in the military from pallets, shipping containers, cargo aircraft, etc. So hopefully I can give you some tips.
Before moving into the shop I highly recommend putting in a jib crane or similar hoist, and beef up the electrical system. This is the best time to run electrical lines, plumb some pipe and drops for the shop air compressor, etc. Just measure out a basic outline of where you are going to put everything in the shop and leave room for future machine additions or upgrades. Would suck to have to pass on a beautiful machine because you got everything tucked in and bolted down without any room to expand.

Ideally all the electrical and plumbing would be run prior to the move, but that aint gonna happen. It'll all have to wait until after all my stuff is moved in and put into position and i'm settled in.;) I'm in CT and the shop is in TN, it's not like I can drive down there at night for a few hours and go back home. The building is 40x60, so I don't foresee myself running out of room any time soon. There's a 200 amp panel with loads of room for expansion. I have loads of electrical and plumbing stuff that I'll be removing from my shop here in CT that I'll try to reuse in TN. Low budget is the name of the game here, or at least as low as I can go. :)

I understand about having to move in and do it a little at a time. My current shop area was similar. We had to move and get everything done before it turned cold. Spent our first fall and winter just moving stuff around like a big game of Tetris until it was usable. Then had to move everything again to upgrade the wiring and install insulation/drywall the following year.

Hey Marcel, Why don't you look for a Bobcat or similar type skid loader with some Forks for it.
You can move some pretty heavy stuff with one depending on the size of loader.
Then you can also use it for yard or general work around the shop. I am sure the wifey will come up with some outdoor yard projects that would make it worth while to have.
Just my $.02

IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0521.JPG Marcel,
I machined a ball made from an old electric motor armature
and it reminds me of you. I thought you should have a look at it too.

I'm really envy your beautiful shop building. It's a thing of beauty!View attachment 95929

I did buy the trailer pictured on the second page of this thread. I looked at renting the JLG drop bed trailer but in the end settled on buying the tilt bed trailer. The jury is still out on whether or not it's gonna work for the heavy 6000lb lathe.

I do have some fears about moving some of this stuff since a lathe fell on me last month and I have a broken leg to show for it.:eek: I got lucky that I didn't get crushed, the leg was a clean break, it could have been much much worse. Freaking lathes and mills are so gosh darned top heavy as to be really scary items to move. At this point, I'm rethinking the best way to get my machines down to TN. I got a quote from a local rigger, that would load my machines onto a flatbed trailer and ship it out to Tennessee for $2600, but i still need someone to unload the stuff and place it in TN, If anyone knows of any riggers down in the Greeneville TN area that could unload some machines off of a trailer for me, that would be really helpful.

Marcel

There's a couple of very good riggers up in that area. I'm digging for the biz card for a guy out of Jefferson City that loaded up my 1440 when I bought it.
I watch him move several other things that day and he was good.

_Dan

Hey Marcel, Why don't you look for a Bobcat or similar type skid loader with some Forks for it.
You can move some pretty heavy stuff with one depending on the size of loader.
Then you can also use it for yard or general work around the shop. I am sure the wifey will come up with some outdoor yard projects that would make it worth while to have.
Just my $.02
A bobcat ain't gonna lift that 6000lb lathe. I'd really need a 10,000lb capacity fork lift to get the job done. The perils of owning large machines.

View attachment 95930 View attachment 95930 View attachment 95930 View attachment 95930 View attachment 95930 Marcel,
I machined a ball made from an old electric motor armature
and it reminds me of you. I thought you should have a look at it too.

I'm really envy your beautiful shop building. It's a thing of beauty!View attachment 95929

I'm trying to figure out how a ball machined from an old armature reminds you of me. Is it the "old" part or the "balls" part? Lol

There's a couple of very good riggers up in that area. I'm digging for the biz card for a guy out of Jefferson City that loaded up my 1440 when I bought it.
I watch him move several other things that day and he was good.

_Dan
Dan, I sent you a pm. I will give that guy a call. Looks very promising.
Thanks

Back