My new future shop in TN!

A bobcat ain't gonna lift that 6000lb lathe. I'd really need a 10,000lb capacity fork lift to get the job done. The perils of owning large machines.

I wouldn't lift it... 'Johnson' bar & rollers all the way. Not sure what you have in CT but the apron/driveway at the TN shed looks like it would handle it.
What is the overall length of the Ikegai lathe? I'm looking for your old post from when you bought but haven't found it yet.
Now to start chewing on a trailer 'type'...

_Dan

I already bought a tilt trailer for the lathe. There's a picture of it in this thread somewhere. I'm just having visions of another lathe falling over on me, and not quite as up to the challenge as I was before the last lathe fell on me. It's not that it's not feasible, I think I'd rather just spend the money and have it professional moved than lose another 3 months of my life recuperating from an injury.

You may be able to use your lift to lift equipment off the trailer. I used mine to lift my mill, however it was only 3000 lbs. But it did it with ease and I just pulled out from under it.

You may be able to use your lift to lift equipment off the trailer. I used mine to lift my mill, however it was only 3000 lbs. But it did it with ease and I just pulled out from under it.
I've thought of that. It's a 9000lb lift, so it should lift anything I have with ease. What did you use between the lift and the piece of equipment, hang it from a chain or did you use a beam(s) between the booms? Any photos?

Rolling around with a heavy and unequally balanced machine such as a lathe is a risky business. Agree with the skates and Johnson bar or screw jack with a lifting claw. If I had to do the forklift option I would only lift enough to clear the trailer and pull the trailer out. Then lower the machine directly onto the moving skates. You can rent skates, Johnson bar, etc from local equipment rental stores. At least I can here since there is a demand for that kind of thing locally. Not sure about your locale. Buying skates, etc are an option. Good to have for future moves. I'd buy a set myself but they sell quickly around here when they rarely come up on craigslist.
Your tilt bed trailer will work but you have some rigging and unloading issues you have to be prepared for. Too much to type since I'm lazy. CALL me and I'll talk you thru it.
Chris

Hi Marcel, The best I remember, I swung the lift arms in and extended the arms. After which I just drove out from under it. I would use I-beam laid down flat and secure the I-beam with tie downs. Your not going to be that high of the ground. I put my lift arms under the mill head instead of using chain. I was afraid I would run out of lift.
I will be moving the shop this summer after we get the new shop built. I'm on the side of a mountain now, and my wife and I figured we move back to her old homestead which is about 30 miles from our house we are in now. I will start a thread on our venture here later, so I don't hi-jack your thread....... :D

Just had a thought, on the B.A.L. could a couple of 2x12's be bolted across the bottom? That would make winching it up on the tilt bed easier.
We had to recover a track-steer out of the woods down here awhile back and I used 2x12's lubed up with dish soap to pull it out to the road
to then get it up on the trailer. Took another track-steer pushing and an F350 with a 12,000lb winch but we got it out of there and on the trailer.

What type of vehicle have you got to pull the tilt-bed trailer?

_Dan

Back