My new future shop in TN!

That's good to know. Thanks. I didn't see that button on the site. I have a 20" rotary table that takes up a little more than 1 cubic foot of volume that weighs 400# all by itself...:rofl: I gues they don't have too many people with machine shops making these kinds of moves. :))

I moved cross country from San Diego to Asheville a year and a half ago. (Hey, we'll practically be neighbors!) I did not have to move any machinery, so can't add much on that topic, but have a couple comments on boxed stuff. I looked at the usual suspects for DIY moving, but decided fairly quickly that the amount of money saved was not worth the amount of personal wear & tear. I got estimates from a few moving companies - the important thing is to get a "bonded estimate", it is basically a fixed price for the move. The moving sales rep came by the house, saw the big stack of packed boxes & all the stuff yet to be boxed and quoted something like $9K to move 10-11,000 pounds. I have multiple toolboxes with machinist, mechanic, & woodworking tools. My wife is a metalsmith when not at her day job so she has a monster jeweler's bench and tools. And we both read - a lot - so many boxes of books.

Moving day comes and any fantasy I had had of doing it myself is gone by 10 am as a stream of guys fills up the semi. Around this time the lead guy looks at me and says, "Everything you have is heavy." And he explains that the sales guy gets a commission, but when he gets the truck on the scales to get the actual weight it will be so far off the estimate that he will get a good piece of that commission. And if I had not gotten that bonded estimate I would be on the hook for the extra weight. As it turns out the load was ~15-16,000 pounds so it could have been another $5K that wasn't in the budget.

I do know there 2 or 3 riggers in the Greenville - Johnson City area, but have not used them.

My move is complete. We finally finished our move in the beginning of September. I ended up doing it all myself with some help. I had 25,000 lbs+ in machinery and tools alone. Plus all my household stuff. It ended up costing me about $10,000 including the investment in the 2 trailers that I now own. I can sell the 2 trailers for $7500. So it cost me $2500 in fuel and blown tires. .. It wasn't easy, and I don't think I'll ever do it again! My back is still feeling it.
I'm here in Tennesse now and I don't regret doing it the way I did it, but man it was a ton of work. We're only about an hour and a half away from each other. We should probably get together. I'm about 12 miles from Greenville, TN.

I've been riding a lot near there, but haven't made it past Hot Springs. I'll get hold of you the next time I'm headed that way.

Welcome to Tennesse!
Greenback is about 2-1/2 hours via the scenic route from us.
Wait til you see some of the sales that come up in your neck of the the woods.

It really surprises me sometimes how a Home Shop ends up bigger than my whole house with attached garage.!!!! That shop looks great Good Luck with the move.

After thinking about it your right. When we moved to the house we have now I have about 90% of the basement for shop and office use. Still use the office for my computer etc. The rest is for wood and metal working. My wife uses about a 10x10 area for storage space.

My move is complete. We finally finished our move in the beginning of September. I ended up doing it all myself with some help. I had 25,000 lbs+ in machinery and tools alone. Plus all my household stuff. It ended up costing me about $10,000 including the investment in the 2 trailers that I now own. I can sell the 2 trailers for $7500. So it cost me $2500 in fuel and blown tires. .. It wasn't easy, and I don't think I'll ever do it again! My back is still feeling it.
I'm here in Tennesse now and I don't regret doing it the way I did it, but man it was a ton of work. We're only about an hour and a half away from each other. We should probably get together. I'm about 12 miles from Greenville, TN.

congrats on the move! Must feel good to have finally got there. I think you did fantastically money wise - it cost us $8000 to move 8800lb from PA to WA last year. I'm really not looking forward to the next move.

Where the devil did Marcel go? Has anyone heard from him since the move?
Hope all is OK...

Back