My new future shop in TN!

I'm from the midwest. It's flat. I hate it. I need topography in my life.

I took a road trip to the Smokey mountains a few falls ago in a Miata. The car was getting rough, so my friend and I were putting it out to pasture properly. We stopped at a random overlook in the park and I was overwhelmed by the view. We just stood there for a few minutes and the only thing I could think to say was, "F*** Illinois". His only response, "Yeah". I think anyone who's seen that place would agree that the only thing the midwest has going for it is sunsets. For about 20 minutes everyday it's an amazing place, but this does not make up for the other 23.75 hours of worthless.
I've been trying to get to TN or OR since then. I would prefer OR, but TN would probably make me just as happy.

This is a really roundabout way of saying I'm jealous all the way around.

Tennessee has two advantages for ya' then, it's closer & winters are warmer.

Dang! I could live in something like that!
Of course I would probably end up permanently single. Decisions, Decisions... :makingdecision:

And, the down side is?:whistle:

That's a sweet looking shop Marcel.

I hope you document your move so we can see the logistics of moving a shop. I have one more move to make in the upcoming year or two but you will probably move before me, so maybe by documenting your move I can learn a thing or two.

Sweet shop, hope your move goes smooth. I've been through Tennessee a few times and I concur, it's beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will document the move. I've been planning this move for over a year now. The shop will be moved in combination with my household stuff. I think I've settled on using ABF freight. They have a program specifics tailored for cross country moves. I'm gonna have to rent a fork lift out hire a rigger at both ends to load the machines. ABF gives you 3 days on both ends to load and unload the trailer(s). It's gonna cost me roughly $5000 for 2-28ft trailers, for a750 mile move , plus the fork lifts at both locations.
I looked at buying a 40 ft steel shipping container but the logistics of loading and unloading it make no sense, I'd need a crane at both ends. Too expensive. The other thing I looked at was a Ryder box truck with the lift gate, but they don't rent one way, so the cost would add up to about the same and I'd have 2 work twice as hard. Uhaul just doesn't the weight carrying capacity needed. Penske rents one way but again the cost is roughly the same as abf fir the same capacity and I gotta do all the driving, so that was a no go too. Your requirements may vary. ABF charges by the linear foot of trailer used, not by weight, which is gonna work out great for me, since I have at least 30000 pounds worth of such to move. If I only use 14' of a 28' trailer they only charge me for the 14'. I thought about hiring a private trucker but haven't found one yet, and I don't think any trucker would be willing to wait 2 days or so for me to load and unload. I'm still open to suggestions, if anyone has experience with these things.

We hired a moving company when we moved here from Michigan [roughly 700 miles] &, while I don't remember all the details anymore, they charged by weight & our belongings only partially filled their 56-foot semi trailer but cost us about $8500. At that time I only had 2 rollaway tool boxes, Walker-Turner pedestal drill press & a Sheldon 10.25 X 56 in. lathe for major shop supplies. They had a heavy-duty dolly to carry the lathe into & out of their trailer. I have a travel trailer & carried our clothes, a Gerstner tool chest, oscilloscope, short wave radio & other delicate items it it.

The most problematic machine I have to move is the 20x40 ikegai lathe. That sucker weighs about 6000lbs. My other machines are about 2000lbs and under, which won't be too bad to move myself. That monster lathe is the logistical thorn in my side, that requires a fork lift. So if I'm gonna get a fork lift, I may as well use it to load the other heavy things as well.

I moved my shop from Massachusetts to North Carolina in 2007. I was into RVing so already had a diesel pickup. I bought a 24 ft enclosed car trailer with a ramp door, pallatized my equipment and bought a new pallet jack from Harbor Freight. I installed floor hooks in the front of the trailer so I could winch the equipment up the ramp door. I made 2 trips to move machinery, and weighed what I put in the trailer or used machine specs so as not to go over the 10K gvw of the trailer. I had an upright band saw, B-port, 13 in. Clausing Colchester and Hardinge tool room lathe. Plus cut off saw, work benches , rollaways , garden equipment, antique tractor, and whatever. Still hired a moving company to move house hold belongings. I personally made 4 trips and figure I moved about 25000 lbs myself. In the end I sold the trailer for a few dollars less than I paid for it. Fuel alone for the 4 trips was probably $2200 and $2000 loss on the trailer not sure it was a good deal, but I could do, it at my pace. No deadlines to load and unload.

Back