My new future shop in TN!

congrats on the move and the great new shop, TN is a beautiful place that's for sure. Sounds like you have the logistics down, though I wonder how much a decent 2nd hand forklift would cost + shipping, vs. hiring one at both ends? I guess at 6000lbs, you're getting into the pretty beefy forklift market though.

We moved from central PA to eastern WA this year and just shy of 9000lb cost us around $8600. The move went really well, quick and professional and nothing broke, although I took great pains to protect my tools. My largest was a 15in WT drill press, so nothing like what you'll be moving. Only downside is that we'll have to move again next year or the year after.

I moved my shop from Massachusetts to North Carolina in 2007. I was into RVing so already had a diesel pickup. I bought a 24 ft enclosed car trailer with a ramp door, pallatized my equipment and bought a new pallet jack from Harbor Freight. I installed floor hooks in the front of the trailer so I could winch the equipment up the ramp door. I made 2 trips to move machinery, and weighed what I put in the trailer or used machine specs so as not to go over the 10K gvw of the trailer. I had an upright band saw, B-port, 13 in. Clausing Colchester and Hardinge tool room lathe. Plus cut off saw, work benches , rollaways , garden equipment, antique tractor, and whatever. Still hired a moving company to move house hold belongings. I personally made 4 trips and figure I moved about 25000 lbs myself. In the end I sold the trailer for a few dollars less than I paid for it. Fuel alone for the 4 trips was probably $2200 and $2000 loss on the trailer not sure it was a good deal, but I could do, it at my pace. No deadlines to load and unload.
I've been thinking about buying a trailer to move my heavy stuff. I have an express 3500 van which is rated to pull 10,000 lbs. I just put a class 5 hitch on it just in case. The more I think about it, the less economic sense it makes to me. Between lost time and gas and the price of the trailer, and the 12 hour drive, it seems like a losing proposition to me. I might rent a uhaul trailer one way for the final trip to put all my hazardous materials into since those materials are a no no for the abf truck.

I thought about buying a fork lift but moving it down to TN also makes no economic sense. If anything I might buy one in TN, if I can find a beater with at least an 8000 lb lifting capacity. I've been looking on Craig's list down in the area for one. At least I could resell it once I'm done with it, and probably break even. Renting a big enough fork lift in TN would cost roughly $1300 for one week with drop off and pick up charges, $800 for one day. The delivery kills it.
I have a rigger that'll load all my machines and heavies in CT onto the abf truck for $1000, but I still haven't figured out what I'm gonna do in TN yet.

I've been planning this move for over a year now. I've almost got it nailed down.

Marcel

What's the weight limit on the ABF 28' trailer?
I might be able to fit all my stuff in one trailer but might exceed the weight limit.

it's a tricky one for sure, although it sounds like you've been thinking about it for some time :) Still, this sounds like a final move, so it's a one off cost which will make it a little easier to bear. We had the issue of needing to move things twice, so we had to be a lot more brutal about what we left behind.

At the very least, this will be a great opportunity to find and organise everything!

What's the weight limit on the ABF 28' trailer?
I might be able to fit all my stuff in one trailer but might exceed the weight limit.
I'm not sure. It's probably whatever the single axle trailer can practically handle. It's gotta be at least 30,000 lbs. Per trailer. They don't list a weight limit.

Congrats on the new shop Marcel. That will be nice, great size. To say I am a bit envious is an understatement.

Mike.

I could never afford a place like that where I'm currently living in CT. I kinda landed in it... I guess a little persistence and keeping the flame alive is what allowed this to happen. It's a 30 yr dream come true for me.

I moved my shop from Massachusetts to North Carolina in 2007. I was into RVing so already had a diesel pickup. I bought a 24 ft enclosed car trailer with a ramp door, pallatized my equipment and bought a new pallet jack from Harbor Freight. I installed floor hooks in the front of the trailer so I could winch the equipment up the ramp door. I made 2 trips to move machinery, and weighed what I put in the trailer or used machine specs so as not to go over the 10K gvw of the trailer. I had an upright band saw, B-port, 13 in. Clausing Colchester and Hardinge tool room lathe. Plus cut off saw, work benches , rollaways , garden equipment, antique tractor, and whatever. Still hired a moving company to move house hold belongings. I personally made 4 trips and figure I moved about 25000 lbs myself. In the end I sold the trailer for a few dollars less than I paid for it. Fuel alone for the 4 trips was probably $2200 and $2000 loss on the trailer not sure it was a good deal, but I could do, it at my pace. No deadlines to load and unload.
I'm going to look at a used car/equipment tilt trailer tomorrow. I'm probably gonna buy it, if it all checks out. I can probably get all my machines and toolboxes out there in 2-3 trips. The trailer is gonna cost me about $4000, but I'll save $2000 in forklift charges alone. Plus, I'll probably have use for it later on.
01515_8cH9FssGkP7_600x450_zpssemldcik.jpg
It's 13,500 gvw, 10,000lb weight carrying capacity. I gotta go down to Tennessee in a couple of weeks to take care of some business, so I figured I could take my first load down at the same time. Fingers crossed!

Marcel

01515_8cH9FssGkP7_600x450_zpssemldcik.jpg

I'm not sure. It's probably whatever the single axle trailer can practically handle. It's gotta be at least 30,000 lbs. Per trailer. They don't list a weight limit.

There's a "Have a question" function on the lower left hand corner of the ABF U-Pack site.

From the ABF U-Pack site; "As far as weight goes, a 28-foot trailer can legally haul 22,500 lbs., but only if the weight is evenly distributed. We estimate that a linear foot of household goods typically weighs around 450-500 lbs. That means a trailer full of household goods would weigh around 12,600 lbs. (a far cry from the 22,500 lbs. it's capable of holding.) "

Back