My first job!

a 3/8" rougher is my go to for jobs like this. I beat up a couple of old ones on the 20 odd AXA size holders I just made, resharpening them by grinding back the flute faces with a dremel grinding wheel. They're not much money and they last for a long long time.

Last edited:
Thank goodness you can file it. None of my K holders will take a file cut.

I keep my old dremel grinding wheels that have worn down for stuff like this. You just angle the endmill and the dremel so the curve of the grinding disk sits against the face of the flute, then gently move it up and down the flute while you rotate the endmill. It's never quite as good as the original, but it gives the cutter a bit more life.

I tried a hacksaw blade across it and it skated over. Its not a good hacksaw but i was checking bc if i could hit it with the hacksaw i was going to take the bandsaw to it and try and cut some material out

I've got a carbide rougher that needs sharpening - when I get round to it I'll take some pics. No way to take a video as I can't hold the endmill, a dremel and the camera at the same time :)

What you mean you dont have 4 arms to juggle with? I though that was normal!

You can do very good work with a Dremel and a cutoff wheel, it really doesn’t matter what road you take as long as you get there.

John

Let me congratulate you on your first job. Usually a machinist's first job is very enriching, but not in dollars, it is in the knowledge gained on estimating costs for future projects. It teaches you to examine the job more critically, and estimate accurately the difficulty and special tool costs. It also can help in teaching you different approaches at any task.

I would likely look at this job and take a different approach than most of the GOOD ideas here. Step one would be annealing the tool. Then the machining operations (which would be HSS-friendly on annealed steel), followed by a hardening and tempering. This is the same order of operations the manufacturer of that tool used (although they might have skipped the annealing phase, as they likely bought the steel stock already soft). Then the finish would have to be re-worked after all that is done. But then, I started making knives back in the 1970s, so heat treating steel is less daunting for me. Do you have any knife smiths in your area?

Back