My first job!

As opposed to a fixed price bid.

Also, don't drop that thing on your toe;)

John

I've cut Kennametal holders before and they are pretty tough. I don't know about you, but all my dovetail cutters are HSS, which would mean slow going, but probably doable.
Don't forget you'll need to drill and tap for a height adjustment screw.

congrats on your first shop job, it's always super neat to make some money from our tools. I'd mill out the slot with a carbide endmill, then take a small test cut with a dovetail cutter (if HSS). My dovetail cutter is a DIY using TCGT inserts, so I would be less concerned with that. As above, use 2 pins large enough to rest against the face of the dovetail, about the same diameter as the depth of the slot works well. Then simply measure between the two in the known holder and cut until you reach that width with the one you're cutting. I'd go by eye on the first side, so you end up with the same thickness "lip" on the dovetail as the known holder, then cut the other side.

If you have problems with a HSS dovetail cutter, you can always cut the sides of the dovetail with an endmill by tilting the holder to the correct angle.

@mattthemuppet2 I plan to do it in 3 ops prob. I am going to dykem the tool to get an eyeball of the slots and after i rough the slot i am going to lay the holder up and carve into the dovetail with a smaller endmill so most meat is gone then finish with the dovetail cutter

Last edited:
I always thought that was a good idea, oversized tool with dove tail cut right into it. Then the depth stop drilled and tapped in with knurled nut. The tool is it’s own holder and very rigid.

Key on buying used massive carbide tool holder is get one with carbide inserts still available to buy and better buy used with extra carbides Included.

Does anyone know what angle the dovetail is. Is it a 60 or 45? I may need to order a cutter but i dont want to wait until it gets here to try and order

Your customer should provide you a print or the mating part for fitting. Otherwise you take on risk that should belong to him.

Does anyone know what angle the dovetail is. Is it a 60 or 45? I may need to order a cutter but i dont want to wait until it gets here to try and order

Back