My first job!

You need to get a good bi-metal blade. Lennox, Starrett, and similar are good bets. You might have to run to your local supply house to get one.

Prob have to order online to get it but at that point id be holding off in the job longer then i quoted. Im not getting paid alot for it anyways bc it is a first job and i didnt plan to charge alot on jobs to begin with. I may charge a little more next time but i figured stuff i am doing i am doing it for fun plus to make a little money to buy tools which i did for the job already now.

not sure how you would use a band saw to do this as there's no way you're going to finagle a 1/2" deep blade around a BXA holder slot.

You'll be fine with a carbide endmill. Start slow, keep your eye on the chips and ear on the sound and take it easy. Step down to cut the first slot, then step over (side milling) to widen it to width. Even if they're through hardened, it's not to super high levels, most say maybe 50RC if that, so carbide will be ok, HSS I'm not so sure. Run it slow with lots of oil and hope for the best!

I have a couple of carbide endmills i will use for this. One question i do have is should i start with a bigger endmill like a 1/2 or bigger to do the slot or should i start smaller i have a nice 3/16 carbide rougher i could use to start out but i know bigger would be better sometimes.

I also have this cutter. It is 5/8 carbide but this flute is why i would question it. Idk if bc it is beat up sort of if it would be a good candidate to rough it out?image.jpg

Dovetail cutter this is the dovetail cutter i have on order with 6 inserts on the way.
That cutter has a maximum depth of cut at .325”. The bxa spec posted earlier has a depth of .409”. If I’m reading everything correctly it wont work for full depth.

I got the tool in today….. and i can file the shank. Not holding my breath but that to me sounds like it will be a little softer then i was thinking.

Back