My first job!

Brento

Registered
Registered
I am getting my first paid job in the shop. I need to cut a bxa dovetail into a Kennametal turning tool. Are they hardened steel? I am thinking in my head already how i plan to tackle the project. Already debating how to take most of the meat out of the dovetail so i can go in and finish with the dovetail cutter.

I do not have it yet as it is being shipped on monday. But i was curious if people had a consensus if it would be hardened or not.

I have done dovetails before, AXA ones

The way I got it down to correct width is to use two 1/4 inch dowels placed in the dovetail and keep cutting until you get that measurement. Measured between the dowels. It helps to have a BXA handy to compare that measurement. If you don’t have one to compare, maybe someone here could give that measurement.

I also found it helpful to have my AXA QCTP at the mill to check fit while it is still on the chuck.

The dowel thing is what is mentioned online doing those and it worked for me, I just posted it if you didn‘t see it.

Cool to have a paying job for the tools!

The customer is sending me a holder to compare with but it looks to be a 1" bar from what i can see as well.

I've had success cutting an AXA dovetail into commercial tool holders, the one I just checked was a Valenite holder, it cut about like 4140, half hard.

This is the tool holder i have to cut

Attachments

• B7127C0C-6863-4DEB-AFF9-4F2D267287E9.png
    B7127C0C-6863-4DEB-AFF9-4F2D267287E9.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 78
Better go time and materials on this one. :)

Back