Mill Spindle Light

Thanks guys for your thoughts, it will be mostly time that helps now.

Thanksgiving was good but not the same, and I am sure Christmas will be hard also.

It is good to get back in here to take the mind off of things for a while.

Turbo

Now that things are getting back to somewhat normal I am spending more time in my shop and working on some projects. Currently working on rebuilding a Troy-bilt tiller and will have to turn the shaft down once it gets welded. Since I will most likely have my camera in the shop making a video I will get some pictures of the light mounted and in action.

I must say while it has been great to use I did run into a clearance issue while milling on a AR 15 upper receiver and had to remove it. Other than that it has not been in the way.

Turbo

Here is a video I did which give a good look at the mill spindle light being installed and in use. Also a little talk about my thoughts on the lower end of the line DRO's. The spindle light starts at 4min and 44sec.

Hi TD,

I do not see a link to your video, does it show up for you?

Walt

Back in 2009, I wrote up an article for one of the Yahoo machining groups I'm on. I used commercially available 12VDC LED "festoons" (36 LEDs each) and mounted them (with hot melt glue) on a thin piece of plywood surrounding my spindle. They've worked well since then, and I've had no problems.

Just for completeness, I'd included a bunch information about several alternatives, including LED rings, homemade LED sources (was not aware of Turbo's work until now), etc.

Unfortunately, much of the supplier information in the .pdf is now obsolete. My two favorite suppliers seem to have gone out of business. I'm currently working on finding new suppliers and updating the file, which I'll post as soon as I have it together. Meanwhile, I can suggest Deal Extreme, http://dx.com. In addition, I'd suggest eBay. For eBay, try searching for "LED festoon 12v panel".

- hman
(John Herrmann)

View attachment LightUpYourMill_2.pdf

Last edited:
Very impressive! Do you have a link of where to buy the LEDs and resistors?

A few years ago, I bought some on Ebay, but they weren't bright enough to do what I wanted.

Jameco has LED's and pieces parts - when connecting LED's, why don't you create 2 power rails, 1 positive and 1 negative, then increase the wattage of the resistor and just connect it in series between the power supply and either the positive or negative rail, and connect all the leds between the 2 rails. seems easier to wire to me.

I just started messing with LEDS a short while ago and use an online calculator to do the wiring scheme. I was wondering if that could be done without damaging the LEDs but haven't looked any further yet. Yes it would be alot easier if there was only one or two resistors.

Back