Mill Spindle Light

Turbinedoctor

Active User
Registered
Here are some pictures of a light I made to go on my Grizzly 705 mill spindle. First picture shows the shotty job of soldering the LED's but also shows that the inner two rings of lights are tapered at 25 degrees to point them at the tool, the next twoo rings are straight down to flood the area around the work site. The second pictures is the front showing the array layout. Next we have the side profile showing the height of the whole assembly of two inches. It could be a little shorter but for my mill no longer. Last we have the larger ring that clamps to the main spendle housing with three set screws.

I will try to get pictures of it in operation but until then you have to take my word for it, it works great. Lots of light and no shadows since there are LEDs all around the tool bit. It is powered by a 9volt 1 amp wall charger for a radio.

Turbo

DSCN3688.JPGDSCN3685.JPGDSCN3686.JPGDSCN3687.JPG

DSCN3688.JPG DSCN3685.JPG DSCN3686.JPG DSCN3687.JPG

I have a couple of plastic LED rings that I got for $20 each. They really help, but yours is just plain impressive. Can't have too much well-aimed light around the spindle.

Nice work, Turbo.

Turbo
Nice job
You should have all the light you ever need over the work piece now. I had one of those store bought ones , but it only had about 8-LEDs . You should have enough on yours to light the entire table.:thumbzup:

Very impressive! Do you have a link of where to buy the LEDs and resistors?

A few years ago, I bought some on Ebay, but they weren't bright enough to do what I wanted.

Does that come with sunglasses? :cool:

Looks pretty good. I have considered building something like that, but never got around to it. I even have the materials, just too lazy I guess. Or maybe too busy? Dunno.

Very impressive! Do you have a link of where to buy the LEDs and resistors?

A few years ago, I bought some on Ebay, but they weren't bright enough to do what I wanted.

If I'm in a hurry I'll see what Radio Shack has in stock but I tend to order mostly from Mouser Electronics - http://www.mouser.com (can be a bit confusing) and use Digikey as a "fallback" - http://www.digikey.com

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Nice! How about some pics of her mounted up and illuminating a workpiece? I've been looking for an excuse to make one and that might be just the the thing.

John

Thanks for all the nice replies. I got the LEDs from ebay, a seller from Hong Kong, they even came with the resistors and very inexpensive. Will try to post pictures of it mounted and working later. My life is upside down now. Lost father in law in february to ALS "lou Garretts", Mother in law and I were in auto accident in september, she just passed away last saturday. Never came home for hospital.

I will spare you the rest for now but to say the least, I have alot going on right now.

I do look forward to working in the shop as a little get away.

Turbo

Sorry to hear that Turbo. My heart goes out to you and your family.

-Ron

I hate to hear that, Turbo. I had been wondering where you had been. There are better places to be than where you've been lately. Anything I can do to help, let me know, please.

Back