Lower priced quick change tooling posts holders

My phase II tool holder is 10 years old with no appreciable wear, my machine gets used a lot. It will outlast me and I'm 50. Phase II tool posts have been around for more than 20 years and enco, msc and other companies have sold 1000's of them. Not sure of the others but I wouldn't hesitate buying one.

I've got this same set in both AXA and BXA -wedge type. I purchased the AXA from Jeff at www.tools4cheap.net and he has the best prices and is a good guy to deal with. The BXA set was supplied by Matt and Nicole from Precision Matthews. They both seem to be identical design and quality.

I've checked the rockwell hardness of the bodies and tool holders and most are around Rockwell 45C +/-2 or so. That's plenty stcratch resistant and the metal they're made of is plenty strong to do the job. I've purhcased additional holders from many different places. They're all fine... some need a minor tweak with a hand file to make them go on/off more smoothly. Sometimes they're a little tight in the beginning.

Couldn't be happier unless I bought another 10 holders and more insert holders and boring bars to go along with it.

Ray

nothing wrong with them... perfectly hardened ..got them on both lathes now

View attachment 58676View attachment 58677

Thanks for the replys guys! We'll see what becomes of my tooling woes.

Oh, I joined the Upper MS group.

DAN_IN_MN,
I'll let you know in a week or so. I just ordered a set of AXA 100's. I got them on fleabay. The sellers ID is Discount Machine. I have ordered other tools from that seller and they all come in marked as being made by Shars. Maybe not the to end of tooling, but from what I have seen, for someone with my skill level and machinery, adequate for the task. The price was just a bit over $125.00. I will be mounting it on a Grizzly G4000 that I purchased back in 1996 or so. This is a mod I should have done a long time ago.

Mitch

McRuff: It is good o hear that you have gotten good,long term service from your PhaseII tool post. That kind of info is very useful to those who need to buy a tool post without it costing a fortune.

I'd encourage others who have such experience with Asian tools to post their results,too. It's the only way we can know if a product is good.

Dan, I don't know where in Minnesota you are, but if you want to look at a Phase II in AXA size, I've got one on my 10" Logan and love it! You are welcome to come over and take a peek if you are in the area. Your 12" lathe would need the next larger size, or BXA, and personally I think the wedge type is a tad bit better than the piston type.

My personal opinion of QCTP's is for the most part as a hobby type of machine we don't really used the advanced capabilities of the high end Aloris and Dorians. I have a phase II on my Enco 9X and an LMS kit on my 7x from A2Z and they both perform extremely well. Both are the piston types of holders, but I don't forsee any wear issues for either of them anytime in the reasonable future. I would not hesitate to consider the Ebay offerings from China if they offer them with free freight and have a decent price. I order quite a bit of stuff from China such as inserts, tooling, chucks and electronics and have had excellent results with every one of the vendors I have used thus far. Hope this helps.

Bob

The wedge type is better for "repeating" in manufacturing. It pulls the tool holder up against the tool post. This makes the positioning of the cutting tool more consistent. It is also just better in general since it holds the tool holder more securely. For home shop,either is o.k..

DAN_IN_MN,
I'll let you know in a week or so. I just ordered a set of AXA 100's. I got them on fleabay. The sellers ID is Discount Machine. I have ordered other tools from that seller and they all come in marked as being made by Shars. Maybe not the to end of tooling, but from what I have seen, for someone with my skill level and machinery, adequate for the task. The price was just a bit over $125.00. I will be mounting it on a Grizzly G4000 that I purchased back in 1996 or so. This is a mod I should have done a long time ago.

Mitch

Dan -

discount machine is the ebay id of Shars.com
I bought the BXA set from them and I am happy with it, the base plate I had to mill to fit my compound slide, but it works like a charm now

- Al

DAN_IN_MN,

Mitch

This answers are the type I was looking for! Thanks too all who have responded!

Excellent.

Hope to see you at our next get together.

I'll see what the schedule allows. It does sound like fun!

I have a couple of projects in mind that may require a little bit of help from someone with a bit more tooling. Cutting a couple of gears for my Honda CX500 to change 5th gear ratio, and an acme nut for my tire balancer to hold the rim to the arbor.

McRuff: It is good o hear that you have gotten good,long term service from your PhaseII tool post. That kind of info is very useful to those who need to buy a tool post without it costing a fortune.

I'd encourage others who have such experience with Asian tools to post their results,too. It's the only way we can know if a product is good.

Yes, experience is the key here.

Dan, I don't know where in Minnesota you are, but if you want to look at a Phase II in AXA size, I've got one on my 10" Logan and love it! You are welcome to come over and take a peek if you are in the area. Your 12" lathe would need the next larger size, or BXA, and personally I think the wedge type is a tad bit better than the piston type.

I'm 22.6 miles away. Not too bad of a ride on my motorcycle! :) I might take you up on that offer!
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jord...gl=us&ei=_PMGUq_kA6qq2wWtzIHADg&ved=0CKgBELYD

Back