Lower priced quick change tooling posts holders

I don't know why you were having trouble with your Aloris. They are universally used in machine shops everywhere. If everyone had those problems,no one would be using them any more. I have never had a problem with mine. It is possible to adjust where the handle stops. Sorry you could not figure out how to adjust yours. No one in the industry would put up with a handle in their way. Were you using Aloris tool holders? I use Asian ones on mine,and they still work fine. I have about a dozen Asian tool holders that I can just drop on and lock the handle. I can't tell from the info you gave what your problem was.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you about the rigidity of the Mason tool posts for the sake of not misleading newbies who rely on this forum for information and help. It does not matter to me personally what anyone prefers to use. It just doesn't take an engineering degree to see that they simply by design cannot be as rigid as an Aloris type. I have been a machinist since 1974,was paid to be one for 39 years,and actually started using machines in 1959. I did not have my own machine tools until 1974,though.

Several reports of problems with CDCO have been mentioned here and on other fora. I don't plan to deal with them any more,though I was lucky and had no problems with them. There are other options.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you about the rigidity of the Mason tool posts for the sake of not misleading newbies who rely on this forum for information and help. It does not matter to me personally what anyone prefers to use. It just doesn't take an engineering degree to see that they simply by design cannot be as rigid as an Aloris type.

George, read my post again. I did not say it was equal to an Aloris or copy. I said it was "rigid enough" for home machinist/hobbyist application. Certainly better in that respect than a lantern-style.
No one is misleading anyone. A newbie does not have to start out with a $300 Aloris if they spent all their extra funds just acquiring the lathe. If they are working with the OE lantern TP and getting frustrated, they might decide to spend an evening or two making a morse-type toolpost from scrap. It's a worthwhile project that costs little and works well.

I already said the same thing a few posts above in post #41,which I guess you didn't read. I believe you mean a Mason tool post. Even when I had an Atlas lathe,a block of steel I made to hold a 1/4" lathe tool was instantly better than the lantern tool post that I had before.It was only about 1 1/2" x1 1/2". Most anything is better than the lantern.

I have fifteen of the import BXA toolholders from CDCO @ $9 (no groove) or $10 (grooved for boring bar) and they work just fine in the piston type post that came with my Grizzly. I also made a milling attachment out of one by welding on a "C" made of 3/4" steel that will hold stock (and tooling) up to 1 1/2 inches tall and that works fine also.

Last edited:
Back