Lower priced quick change tooling posts holders

DAN_IN_MN

Active User
Registered
Okay guys, everyone seems to be a straight shooter here so I think I can get an answer. I know the old saying, "you get what you pay for" so is this one of those items that should be avoided? I can't find the seller now, but they listed a setup at $100.00 and another one at $190.00 or so.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-LATHE-QU...7?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item35b29a65e7
$(KGrHqMOKkEE1vjFW+JIBNn-YgZeIg~~0_35.JPG

If I was to buy something like this, what do the more expensive ones offer that these don't.

Tooling is something that slows me down when I'm machining. I'm tempted to get this but don't want to give up rigidity.

Anyone using something in this price range? What is the good, the bad and the ugly?

This is the tool post I currently have. What type of tooling is supposed to fit this one? (don't look at the mess! LoL! )

DSC00019_zps5c80a241.jpg

Dan, You can use whatever tool you can fit in the slot, provided the cutting edge isn't to high to center on the work piece. The problem I have with that type of tool post is that you don't have vertical adjustment. Unless I've been missing something, you have to shim your tool to center it on the workpiece. I have one for my current lathe that I replaced with a quick change post. I'm sure the original one was plenty rigid and if I wanted to use the same 4 tools all the time it would have been handy....but I always seem to be using a different tool. I'm not a production machinist. As far as the cheap toolposts, I've had them and I don't have any complaints. They don't work as smooth as an aloris but once you lock the tool holder in place there isn't a lot of difference. Some of the holders don't fit quite as nice as you would like them to, but you can fix them fairly easily. I use mostly import holders on my aloris post just because I'm too cheap to pay the price for the brand name ones. The downside is that you have to use a metric allen wrench for the imports and a standard allen wrench for the aloris and dorian. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the cheap toolpost. You can always watch for a deal on a better one when it comes along. You might decide that you don't need it at that point. I would pay the extra 10 or 20 bucks and get the wedge type instead of the cheaper piston model, but both will do the job.

Chuck

Looks like you've been making chips. Quick change toolholders are nice but you will still have to buy tooling for it. You could get quite a bit of tooling for the 4 way toolpost you have for a 100 bucks. They are a nice upgrade but factor in the total cost first. Then its up to you.

Dan, You can use whatever tool you can fit in the slot, provided the cutting edge isn't to high to center on the work piece. The problem I have with that type of tool post is that you don't have vertical adjustment. Unless I've been missing something, you have to shim your tool to center it on the workpiece. I have one for my current lathe that I replaced with a quick change post. I'm sure the original one was plenty rigid and if I wanted to use the same 4 tools all the time it would have been handy....but I always seem to be using a different tool. I'm not a production machinist. As far as the cheap toolposts, I've had them and I don't have any complaints. They don't work as smooth as an aloris but once you lock the tool holder in place there isn't a lot of difference. Some of the holders don't fit quite as nice as you would like them to, but you can fix them fairly easily. I use mostly import holders on my aloris post just because I'm too cheap to pay the price for the brand name ones. The downside is that you have to use a metric allen wrench for the imports and a standard allen wrench for the aloris and dorian. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the cheap toolpost. You can always watch for a deal on a better one when it comes along. You might decide that you don't need it at that point. I would pay the extra 10 or 20 bucks and get the wedge type instead of the cheaper piston model, but both will do the job.

Chuck

Were there cutter bit holders that were sold with my tool post? (******EDITED******* TYPOs!)

The shimming is what gets me! I suppose I could mill a shim to a particular thickness. Then the cutter angle sometimes takes forever to get correct.

Last edited:
nothing wrong with them... perfectly hardened ..got them on both lathes now

photo-35.JPGphoto-11.JPG

photo-35.JPG photo-11.JPG

Was there cuttery bit holders that were sold with my tool post?

The shimming is what gets me! I suppose I could mill a shim to a particular thickness. Then the cutter angle sometimes takes forever to get correct.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cuttery bit holders". I'm thinking maybe indexable tooling. I don't know if the lathe came with tools. Anyway you look at it you still have either shim the indexable tool or the stick of hss. As far as the "cutter angle", you will have to adjust that with either tool post. The four way post that came with my lathe has detents to index in the four positions. So once squared it will be square in each position.

Chuck

The tool post you show is the wedge type,which is more desirable. But,it is an A size. They come in A,B,C,and D size. A is only for the smaller lathes. Your lathe looks like it would need a B,at least. Also,you'll likely never find out,are the internal parts hardened? I have an Aloris,which is one of the best USA made ones. My tool holders are mostly Asian,and they are not hardened. The main problem with them is you have to get GOOD set screws to hold the tools down. Chinese set screws are soft,and their hex holes wear right out. It doesn't seem to matter if the tool holders themselves are hardened. Hardinges aren't even hardened. BUT,I'd be concerned that the internal parts of the tool holder are,lest they wear out. The only way to get one you know is good is to buy an Aloris,or possibly a Dorian.(I have heard of problems with Dorians,and crappy customer service).

Replace your set screws with HOLLOCHROME brand. You'll have to buy a box of them.

I got mine from Enco its their PhaseII brand. Not as nice as the Aloris but I haven't had any problems with mine. They keep them on sale for about $215. Just wait and get one of the 20% off with free shipping codes that they do every so often. That will make it about $175. I am sure they are made in the same factories as the other China one you posted but I bet it will be easier to return the Enco one if something is wrong. I would definitely get the wedge style. The Enco site list what size to get compared to the lathe swing. The only thing with QCTP I have found is sometimes off brand tool holders can be to tight to fit on the dovetail. I got a box of them at a fleamarket once and 2 of the holders were just a little too small to fit on the tool post. I few licks on the surface grinder and they were fine but it is something to watch for.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

If the internal parts are not hardened,it could be some time before they become worn out. Past any warranty period. If you use your lathe a lot,probably best to try to hold out for an Aloris tool post.

If the internal parts are not hardened,it could be some time before they become worn out. Past any warranty period. If you use your lathe a lot,probably best to try to hold out for an Aloris tool post.

That's the crap shoot of discount tools. The more I get into this hobby the more I find that waiting to buy the better tool is really the best option. I keep hopping to for a used Aloris for cheap. LOL

Jeff

Back