Hobby Machinist Group in New Jersey?

Had a great get together today with Richl and Itsme_Bernie! It was really cool to actually meet and talk with some other hobby machinists; I learned a lot on many fronts just from chatting, and I'm looking forward to doing it again in the near future. I hope some of you other NJ guys can join us!

:machinists:

Well worth the time!!!
Lots of great information, Charlie and Bernie really taught me lots of cool things today, I am really looking forward to doing this again soon. Charlie has a great basement shop with a couple of neat machines that he has done some cool mods to. He was very interested in showing what he has been doing, and for me, I was thrilled to hear all of it! :)

The makings of a fun group, hope to see a new face or 2 in the next get together!

Thanks for hosting this one Charlie

Rich

Hey Charlie

You had asked about a rotary table today, whether your mill would work with a 4" or 6". I took some measurements of my 6" rotary indexer just now, in the vertical position, it is 8" tall and 4" deep. So conversely, placing it in a horizontal position, it would be 4" tall and round in 1 direction 8" and 7" in the other (taking into account the wheel and index plates). This is the standard Chinese knockoff that is available from most suppliers, mine was from Grizzly.

HTH

Rich

Great time guys!

I was inspired to get cleaning when I was done with my responsibilities today, so I may be able to "host" the next one :)

I really encourage all the folks on the forum to try to actually get together with others you meet here. I've seen it a few times here on HM.
I don't know where I'd be regarding my machining without forums like this. I really feel machining as a hobby would be a dying art without the virtual machinist-journeymanship of the experienced folks out there sharing with people like me when I was starting.

But I also can't stress enough how much an occasional meetup, talking in person, and seeing in person adds to text and pics we see on forums.

So let's not forget to get together, and clean up our shops by giving each other the crap we don't want anymore- and messing up each others' shops! Hahh hah hah

Bernie

Amen to that Bernie.

A thought I just had, for next meeting, maybe bring along something for a show and tell type thing. Nothing dramatic (we had lots to see and talk about today, so it was not necessary, and I am sure that will be the case for Bernies shop! :) ) but it can't hurt either. I have some things around here it would be interesting to get a machinist perspective on at the least.

Just tossing around some ideas, always interested in the perspective of others!

peace

rich

Hey Charlie

You had asked about a rotary table today, whether your mill would work with a 4" or 6". I took some measurements of my 6" rotary indexer just now, in the vertical position, it is 8" tall and 4" deep. So conversely, placing it in a horizontal position, it would be 4" tall and round in 1 direction 8" and 7" in the other (taking into account the wheel and index plates). This is the standard Chinese knockoff that is available from most suppliers, mine was from Grizzly.

HTH

Rich

Rich,

Thanks for the info... that's a big help...

- - - Updated - - -

Great time guys!

I was inspired to get cleaning when I was done with my responsibilities today, so I may be able to "host" the next one :)

I really encourage all the folks on the forum to try to actually get together with others you meet here. I've seen it a few times here on HM.
I don't know where I'd be regarding my machining without forums like this. I really feel machining as a hobby would be a dying art without the virtual machinist-journeymanship of the experienced folks out there sharing with people like me when I was starting.

But I also can't stress enough how much an occasional meetup, talking in person, and seeing in person adds to text and pics we see on forums.

So let's not forget to get together, and clean up our shops by giving each other the crap we don't want anymore- and messing up each others' shops! Hahh hah hah

Bernie

Well said, Bernie!

- - - Updated - - -

Amen to that Bernie.

A thought I just had, for next meeting, maybe bring along something for a show and tell type thing. Nothing dramatic (we had lots to see and talk about today, so it was not necessary, and I am sure that will be the case for Bernies shop! :) ) but it can't hurt either. I have some things around here it would be interesting to get a machinist perspective on at the least.

Just tossing around some ideas, always interested in the perspective of others!

peace

rich

Good idea!

Back