Hobby Machinist Group in New Jersey?

I'm in the NW corner of NJ - Sussex county.

I'm at the beginning hobby level if metal craft and the only formal training I've had to date is some beginner welding.

Looking for information and to meet other hobbyists.

I'm currently working on basic moulds for lead but it's slow going with my limited skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm in the NW corner of NJ - Sussex county.

I'm at the beginning hobby level if metal craft and the only formal training I've had to date is some beginner welding.

Looking for information and to meet other hobbyists.

I'm currently working on basic moulds for lead but it's slow going with my limited skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi...

I'm in a similar boat. I thought it would be great if we could get together and learn from each other...

Welcome to our small, but, growing group! Just a week ago this was only a dream :) now we have a couple of interested people yee haw!

Rich

Welcome to our small, but, growing group! Just a week ago this was only a dream :) now we have a couple of interested people yee haw!

Rich

Maybe we should set up a New Jersey Hobby Machinist Group here, though I'm not sure exactly how the group function works within Hobby-Machinist.com. Does that allow us to PM the group and have the PMs go to all members? Nelson, could you provide a little guidance here?

Why don't we just make it a "thread" that we all respond to regarding meeting? It is a bit of a job running a group. I run a small, lightly active one on Yahoo and it requires some attention.

Bernie

Why don't we just make it a "thread" that we all respond to regarding meeting? It is a bit of a job running a group. I run a small, lightly active one on Yahoo and it requires some attention.

Bernie

That probably makes the most sense for now, If we start to get more traffic, than we can go the group way... than, I am only throwing this out as a form of verbal communication :)) so whatever Charlie decides in fine by me.

On other matters:

I decided to clean out the garage this weekend, spent all day Saturday, from 7:30AM till after 10PM cleaning out everything, I had a pile of stuff out in the driveway you can not believe! :) Been burning wood since, still have some left, I have to wait for it to dry off because of the rain. After 15 years of neglect and just storing all kinds of random stuff, it was time. Lots todo to finally get the place organized, but it is a long way forward.

Still looking for mill and lathe, I would like to get something in the Grizzly go602 (10x22) size for a lathe, and the Grizzly 704 for a mill. I've seen some really nice Bridgports mills around, and I passed up on a 10" Logan lathe about a month ago... nervous about the used market, I really do not understand how to know a good machine from a bad one... and making it a project scares me

Just some random thoughts, mostly that is all I have :D

Anyone familar with places that have machine equipment and you can join as a member to use equipment, I think TechShop is one name, but there are not any close enough to me yet... any suggestions?

peace

Rich

Bernie

Hi, Bernie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I sure don't want to create MORE work! I'd suggest that we use PM for secure stuff, mainly addresses.

All,
Since I volunteered to host a visit to my little, unimpressive shop first, how about Saturday morning, May 18? Post here if you want to give it a try. It would be nice to meet and talk to some other people with the same interests.

:anyone:

That probably makes the most sense for now, If we start to get more traffic, than we can go the group way... than, I am only throwing this out as a form of verbal communication :)) so whatever Charlie decides in fine by me.

On other matters:

I decided to clean out the garage this weekend, spent all day Saturday, from 7:30AM till after 10PM cleaning out everything, I had a pile of stuff out in the driveway you can not believe! :) Been burning wood since, still have some left, I have to wait for it to dry off because of the rain. After 15 years of neglect and just storing all kinds of random stuff, it was time. Lots todo to finally get the place organized, but it is a long way forward.

Still looking for mill and lathe, I would like to get something in the Grizzly go602 (10x22) size for a lathe, and the Grizzly 704 for a mill. I've seen some really nice Bridgports mills around, and I passed up on a 10" Logan lathe about a month ago... nervous about the used market, I really do not understand how to know a good machine from a bad one... and making it a project scares me

Just some random thoughts, mostly that is all I have :D

Anyone familar with places that have machine equipment and you can join as a member to use equipment, I think TechShop is one name, but there are not any close enough to me yet... any suggestions?

peace

Rich

Hi, Rich,

It's amazing the amount of stuff one can collect. I often save stuff just "because I may need it some day". Of course, that day is almost always the day after I decide I'll never use it and throw it out! One of my cousins solves this problem by NEVER throwing anything out. Last time he ran out of room, he bought the property next door and built a single-story, industrial design building on it, just for storage.

You can burn wood outside where you live? Any open burning is illegal hereabouts.

My shop is in my basement, which is good and bad. I have heat and A/C and am indoors so can work year round. But I'm not going to get any really big machinery into the cellar, especially since it lacks a direct entrance from outdoors. I only have a 7 x 14 mini-lathe and a mini-mill, so with a little help from my friends (actually, son-in-law) I managed to get everything down there. But no Bridgeports are in my future, that's for sure.

I guess if you end up knowing someone who is really knowledgeable about machinery, they could give you some good advice on what to look for in a used machine. I think one of the guys who was interested in a NJ group had experience rebuilding or overhauling machines; he might be a great source.

Anyway, I just finished a little project a few minutes ago, so I'll check my email and then off to bed for me.

Wow Charlie- I might actually be able to go!

I have to hold out on a definite "yes" until I know the weather- I have a weather related industrial shoot that week which might have to go into Saturday as a rain date.

I've wanted to start this for years! I am very happy we are getting this going!

Bernie

Back