Hobby Machinist Group in New Jersey?

clevinski

Active User
Registered
Hi,

Does anyone know of a hobby machinist group in New Jersey? I'd love to join such a group and visit local, fellow hobby machinists...

Would there be a benefit to starting a New Jersey Hobby Machinist group here?

I would like to find a group also. Or, just count me in as very interested.:thumbsup:

peace

rich

I am surely interested! I'm in Northern NJ.

Bernie

I had a very nice exchange of pm's with charlie earlier today, in them it was suggested we introduce ourselves a touch, maybe even some details of what we are looking for.

Me, I am 54 years old, I have been working as a carpenter most of my adult life, though I have worked in NYC servicing mini and mainframe computers in the 80's and some time as a bench tech for a graphics products company. I work as a carpenter now, been doing that since the late 80's early 90's. I work in most of the main markets around here, NYC, Phila, and Atlantic City...

Why the interest in machine tools? ALways been interested in welding, metal, sheetmetal, bodywork... always wanted a lathe and mill, just never got around to getting them, I'd like to change that this year, that is why I am here, and that is the main interest in being a part of a group. I can learn a good deal on my own, but I will learn it better and faster if I have people to bounce ideas off of and to show me the finer points of machine work.

What I want to do? Learn, the goal is to absorb knowledge but I have an ulterior motive, I like to build things, sometimes in wood, sometimes in stone other times in metal, learning to incorporate a metal lathe and mill into my bursts of creativity would be great. I have been learning to build bicycles since last summer, having some machinist tools around helps to manufacture all kinds of great stuff. I also build some metal furniture ( I have a couple of benders here), so hamving the abuility to make different brackets, joints or decorations would only help enhance the things I like to do.

Sorry to be so long winded, typically I try to stay in the background and learn, just thought it might break the ice a bit to have someone step forward and introduce themselves...

peace

rich

Since Rich and I PMed earlier on this subject, I guess I'll continue his introductions. I'm 60, I live in South River, NJ, am an electrical engineer and have always been involved in making stuff, mechanical and electrical. I have a half-decent collection of various tools, some for metalworking and some for woodworking (the usual; table saws, router, a couple of MIG welders, metal and wood chop saws, etc.) I had a little experience with machine tools in my early 20s, and ever since I continually encounter repair tasks or little projects where I thought, "If I just had a lathe" or "If I only had a milling machine". So last year, I finally decided to do something about it, and bought a 7 x 14 lathe. THAT taught me a lot, though I still have a LOT to learn. I've since bought a mini-mill, horizontal band saw, arbor press and a bunch of various tools and accessories. (They're not kidding when they say the accessories are 3X the cost of the lathe!)

My goal is to meet with others with similar interests and see how they do things, what sorts of projects they're involved with, etc. While the various forums and groups are a phenomenal source of information, there's just nothing like actually SEEING, touching and hearing. With that thought in mind, my suggestion is that, if we can get a few guys who are interested, we can visit each others shops and see how the other guy lives. While mine is not nearly as well equipped as many, I'd be happy to "host" the first visit to get things rolling. So if you're in the NJ area and want to get together and discuss machining, visit other shops, etc., please give a post here. If we have enough interested parties, we can set up a group here on Hobby-Machinist.com. BTW, it might also be convenient for you guys who are in Staten Island or even NYC, or across the river in Pennsylvania.

Quick answer for now is yes!
I am up in Roseland, but enjoy a drive. I am 41, NJIT Mechanical Engineering in the 90's but am now a commercial photographer. I consider myself an advanced novice :) with a very imbalanced knowledge since I enjoyed helping a guy repair machinery for a while. My schedule is pretty crazy with business and family but I'm game!

.. That wasn't as short as I thought but off to bed for now!

Bernie

Back