Help me dial this PETG in...

Follow the directions in that link. You have to run their test print to figure out what those K numbers are. Then you can add them to your slicer's starting Gcode as shown instead of recompiling Marlin, which is a nuisance to be sure. You can't just enable it as without numbers specific to your printer, it's just going to make things worse.
Recompiling Prusa's Marlin isn't that bad in linux. git clone the repository, and check if I have the right flavor of awk, and run the script. Since I have built FreeCAD from source, I can't imagine doing Marlin would be bad at all. Anyways, generated the g-code and am starting the kfactor run.

@MikeWi Hah, hah, that's horrible! Didn't start to get good until a setting of 2.

PXL_20221121_205742357.jpg
Think I will rerun from K=1.0 to 3.0

Recompiling Prusa's Marlin isn't that bad in linux. git clone the repository, and check if I have the right flavor of awk, and run the script. Since I have built FreeCAD from source, I can't imagine doing Marlin would be bad at all. Anyways, generated the g-code and am starting the kfactor run.
Sure if you're used to coding. Even then, I don't like having to search thru all the configuration files to find the section I want, and then recompile, and reload. In Klipper for instance, you're editing a config file in plain text, and restarting it. easy peasy.

Sure if you're used to coding. Even then, I don't like having to search thru all the configuration files to find the section I want, and then recompile, and reload. In Klipper for instance, you're editing a config file in plain text, and restarting it. easy peasy.
It's a PIA to be sure. Lots easier to do a config file.

Disregard that last print. I didn't enable bed leveling. I will try again. It sure was pitiful though.

Second print was not good looking either. I'm not sure if I am configuring the linear advance gcode generator table correctly. Since this is a first layer print, do I want the first layer nozzle temp, or the other layers temp? Same question for bed temp. Life with PLA was so easy... PETG setup is harder than I ever expected.

Following along to see what you find and what it took to correct it.

I have printed a few parts in PETG, not much vertical like what your trying to print. I have been getting some stringing on the ends. But so far everything is coming out OK. I have mine in a box with an internal temp of 80°F when printing. I set the fan like @7milesup recommended, and I have the temperatures set at 235°C for the tool and 90°C for the bed.

It's important to do the basic tuning first like the bed level, and the extrusion multiplier. If the basic extrusion is wrong, the linear advance test will be too. I haven't needed an enclosure for PETG, but printing ASA I sure do. BTW, I forgot you mentioned popping sounds. That's steam exploding out of the filament, and will affect the print. Could be a small part of the issue.

It's important to do the basic tuning first like the bed level, and the extrusion multiplier. If the basic extrusion is wrong, the linear advance test will be too. I haven't needed an enclosure for PETG, but printing ASA I sure do. BTW, I forgot you mentioned popping sounds. That's steam exploding out of the filament, and will affect the print. Could be a small part of the issue.
Bed is not too far off, but could be improved. Yeah there's some quiet popping.

Can't seem to get the darned test pattern off. I have an x and y axis that aren't quite coming off. First time that has happened. How do you get this crap off?

I'm doing an extrusion multiplier cube now. I have a good micrometer, I can measure stuff.

So, I ran your part on my MK3S+ and got almost the same result as you did so my guess is it's something to do with your model or .stl file. The part I labelled #1 is your .stl file sliced by my PrusaSlicer 2.5.0 using my settings which are mostly unchanged since I don't usually have trouble printing PETG. Supports everywhere. The one labelled #2 is your g-code run directly on my printer. There are the circular "echoes" on both parts. See the last photo.
I suggest making the wall a little thicker or make deeper pockets for the magnets with a bumpout on the back if that will work for you.

#1 below
1 Front.jpg

#2 below
2 Front.jpg

Front of Both (below)
Front Both.jpg

Back of Both (below)
Back Both.jpg

I have to give up for the night. I'm very frustrated with all my testing and results. As an example, check out this "extrusion calibration cube" print. All default settings accepted, as per the instructions. This filament is awful. I think it needs to be run at a significantly lower temperature, like at the bottom of the temp range. I can hear it popping faintly when extruding. The filament won't come off the plate, it wouldn't surprise me that this plate is hosed. I'm very unhappy with this.
PXL_20221122_000220879.jpg
Yeah that's supposed to have single layer walls. What a piece of pond scum.

I had pretty good PLA prints and now this crap.

Back