Help me dial this PETG in...

So, I ran your part on my MK3S+ and got almost the same result as you did so my guess is it's something to do with your model or .stl file. The part I labelled #1 is your .stl file sliced by my PrusaSlicer 2.5.0 using my settings which are mostly unchanged since I don't usually have trouble printing PETG. Supports everywhere. The one labelled #2 is your g-code run directly on my printer. There are the circular "echoes" on both parts. See the last photo.
I suggest making the wall a little thicker or make deeper pockets for the magnets with a bumpout on the back if that will work for you.

#1 below
View attachment 427498
#2 below
View attachment 427499
Front of Both (below)
View attachment 427500
Back of Both (below)
View attachment 427501
Thanks for the report. I feel a little better. My original design in PLA was 3.6mm walls with a 2.8 mm pocket. It printed ok. Then I wanted to test changing the wall and pocket thickness. I was hoping to use PETG for the final box. A prototype design was made and printed in petg flat with the original thickness and pocket depth. It looked very good. I then redesigned it to 3.0mm thick and a 2.6mm pocket. It also printed ok flat.

But in the vertical orientation, the 3mm thick unit never printed ok in petg. The filament I got, doesn't seem to be a good specimen. I think it is soggy and it needs lower temperatures to work. My vertical finish quality improved a lot using lower temperatures. However, having only 0.4mm wall thickness at the bottom of the pocket isn't working in PETG. My PLA design had 0.8mm thick walls down in the pocket and came out ok.

Tomorrow, I may try PETG on the original design, but vertical, with 3.6mm walls and 2.8mm pockets. But first I have to clean off the crap off my plate. I don't know how to remove the residual filament. I fear this filament used at 250C and 90C base temp has over adhered to the satin sheet. Hopefully tomorrow may bring some more clarity.

If you’re hearing sizzling and popping your filament might have entrained water in it. As the moisture gets heated by the nozzle, it turns to steam and will “burst” out of the plastic, causing the sizzle/pop noise.

I put my filament under vacuum for an hour or two before use and I’ve never had a water issue, even with nylon. All I do is put it in a plastic bag, vacuum it down and let it sit.

Easy peasy.

If you’re hearing sizzling and popping your filament might have entrained water in it. As the moisture gets heated by the nozzle, it turns to steam and will “burst” out of the plastic, causing the sizzle/pop noise.

I put my filament under vacuum for an hour or two before use and I’ve never had a water issue, even with nylon. All I do is put it in a plastic bag, vacuum it down and let it sit.

Easy peasy.
The filament was packed in a moisture proof bag and had desiccant, but still seems like there was moisture.

Where do you get bags with vacuum ports? I have a little vacuum pump for car A/C evacuation.

Try the drying method I described way back in post 16.

Try the drying method I described way back in post 16.
I will do that tonight. Your print temps are far lower that what Prusa is recommending for their filament. I will try your values, because the Prusa settings just aren't working at all... Makes me think about getting a filament dryer. Can get a 2 spool dryer for $60?

Is 60C ok for all night drying?

Looks like you are also running way too hot! can you send me your prusa slicer profile for that print? I'm curious.

Also your filament is dry when you get it, but it will absorb moisture out of the air unless you protect it.
These containers have silica dessicant in them, along with a hygrometer. The filament stays in until it's used up. Lots of different designs for this kind of thing. Ignore the mess, I'm still unpacking things from the move, and the printer is in pieces right now.

Attachments

• 20221121_214933.jpg
    20221121_214933.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 88
Also your filament is dry when you get it, but it will absorb moisture out of the air unless you protect it.
These containers have silica dessicant in them, along with a hygrometer. The filament stays in until it's used up. Lots of different designs for this kind of thing. Ignore the mess, I'm still unpacking things from the move, and the printer is in pieces right now.
I appreciate that the filament will suck moisture out of the air. I'm a bit surprised mostly since the dew point has been very low lately, making the relative humidity very low in a heated home. When I opened the package the RH was 25% in the house. That's really dry. Just surprised that the filament was soggy under that condition.

Have a jar or two of silica gel with color change in them. One of them is dark blue and ready to use. Don't have a container contraption to hold the filament just yet.

Looks like you are also running way too hot! can you send me your prusa slicer profile for that print? I'm curious.
Yes it does. What is funny is it is merely the default settings for Prusament PETG. This is the cube, right? Rename to Slic3r_PE.config.

Attachments

• Slic3r_PE.txt
    11.4 KB · Views: 78
eSun and some others sell vacuum bags with ports along with a little hand pump. That's what I use. You can find them on Amazon.
It sounds like you have bad filament. I have one particular spool of Prusament that just won't print well and seems to always clog the hot end. Can you try a different spool of PETG?

Back