Getting the new knee mill off the pallet

98% of the mass above the lifting point

There are ways to transfer the force of the lift through the bottom of the machine, but prevent any possibility of it tipping. One instance of this is:

17335_c44fd0979d2d64de1698ab41a5ec0cc0.jpg

This picture isn't a tutorial. This base was lifted 5 times during the move, and rigged 3 times to make it happen. The straps are captive under the flair at the top. Tipping is not possible, even if any one strap breaks. Each yellow strap was rated at 10X the lift, and the orange constraining strap was rated at 3 times the lift.

What would keep those straps from sliding off around the corners? I have seen lifts like that before. Personally, I would have made provisions to ensure those straps didn't move, and not just at the top.
To each his own.

I built a gantry to lift mine for this purpose. A few 2x6’s, some bracing, a ratchet strap to hold the legs from spreading. The geometry kept it from wanting to fall over. Worked very nicely.

You are a brave soul.

I, too, have used wood framing for hoisting purposes. I have a lift I take the fiberglass cap off my truck bed with (2011 F350 long bed with a Leer 180 cap). The lift is modeled after the geometry of a conventional floor jack, only instead of hydraulic power it uses an electric winch with a few blocks to reduce the line speed/drop the load on the winch.

However.... The cap weighs no where near what your mill does!!! That is impressive.

I like Lis2323's idea.
Go to Harbor Freight and get a replacement Ram Cylinder for your engine hoist.
I believe it is a 3 ton cylinder and bolted right in place of my existing cylinder. I am not a Harbor Freight fan but....
My 2 ton Horror Freight shop crane has an 8 ton cylinder jack.

I'm not sure how many of you are over on Welding Web also - but I saw the thread below earlier this Fall. If I had a good size building for a shop etc I'd love to make a mobile gantry like the one in the link below. That would make moving a lot of things a cake walk.

I like the cherry picker ideas mentioned in the thread. Those can be pretty handy - but I agree the dimensions are less than ideal for moving floor mount machines like lathes and mills. Maybe a home-brew version with a wider spread between legs and beefed up framing + jack would be a good idea.

What would keep those straps from sliding off around the corners

It is an advanced technique but one I use often. The orange strap is wrapped around each lifting strap 3 times (that's a magic number.... don't get me started on K times rho cubed...) and then tightened. There isn't slack in the orange strap, it is going around a protrusion, it is actually drawn tight.. It then forms a cage where the yellow straps can't move sideways, but still transfer the tension to the base.

It is an advanced technique but one I use often. The orange strap is wrapped around each lifting strap 3 times (that's a magic number.... don't get me started on K times rho cubed...) and then tightened. There isn't slack in the orange strap, it is going around a protrusion, it is actually drawn tight.. It then forms a cage where the yellow straps can't move sideways, but still transfer the tension to the base.

I like it. Same concept as the cage on Posilock pullers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only need the engine hoist to get the pallet out from the bottom. I'll be using a johnson bar to move the mill into place, one inch at a time.

BTDT.

Not necessarily with a mill but other heavy machinery. Goes surprising well when you just take your time. The trick is to not get impatient trying to get bigger "bites".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back