Getting the new knee mill off the pallet

The shipping company said my crate weighed 2100 lbs. So, I'm not exactly sure how much my mill weighs.

The shipping company said my crate weighed 2100 lbs. So, I'm not exactly sure how much my mill weighs.
Sorry, I guess I should be more organized, but, when you lifted with the eyebolt, did the machine try to swing to the side, or did it lift straight up?

It wanted to swing away from the hoist and to the right, but I already know that, so I tied the base of the mill to the back of the hoist with a ratchet strap and did the same to the right side of the base

20201217-150051.jpg

@Pcmaker - Very glad to see that you got the mill safely off the pallet! Did you, or are you planning to add legs or feet under it? And how did/will you move it to its final resting place? Those expansion joints in your floor look like they'd really mess up the use of pipe rollers.

@K Hood - Welcome to the forum! I sincerely send you my very best wishes for a successful lift and pallet removal. Be safe!

PS - What model 935 did you get - the TV or TS. And which motor? I just looked through the manual, and it looks like a GREAT mill!

After
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I was trained as a gunsmith and have about 40 years of experience doing gunsmithing-type machining operations, and even making scratch-built rifles, but I still do not consider myself a true machinist like many here.

So, as I read the OP’s comments, it was déjà vu all over again. I felt like I had somehow typed the words myself, since they so closely parallel my very recent concerns and experience. I just bought a PM 935 as well, along with a new 12x36 PM lathe. Two years away from retiring, I figured I better upgrade while I still feel comfortable spending that kind of money. Anyway, I took delivery just three weeks ago, and I feel the OP will be able to glean some valuable information from my experience. Here’s how it played out for me (so far).

I paid PM the extra for lift gate service and actually compromised on a smaller knee mill, because I felt the lift gate option was mandatory for me. The lift gate service was not available for the larger mill due to weight. This proved almost prophetic. First, PM was generally very helpful up until I placed the order, but those guys need to update their website specs on machine weight, as I will now explain. The freight company finally called to schedule delivery with its bobtail truck and lift gate. This was great news, since I was really hoping I could get them to back up into my driveway as close to the garage door as possible (There is a pretty good incline up into my garage. I also was willing to suffer a few extra cracks in the driveway.). The same company then called two days later to notify me that the machines were way too heavy for the lift gate and too tall for their “box truck.” This was a huge red flag for me, and I could see all my fears about to play out: the machines dumped on my sidewalk, leaving me to get them up the driveway and into the garage myself. According to the PM website, the lathe was supposed to be 1000 lbs. and the mill 1400 lbs., but the bill of lading said 3600 lbs. total. How could that be? Well, PM finally admitted that the 3600 lbs. number was the actual weight, as the two packages were weighed when they left the PM facilities. Thanks a lot, guys.

In the same call, PM told me they would take care of it, though, but I didn’t hear anything for a couple of days. Then, Estes, the company that actually delivered the machinery from PA to Oklahoma City, called to set up delivery. This was a very good thing, as I was able to explain my situation. They were very accommodating and understanding and told me they would send their best man and the trailer with the best lift gate (?!). Unfortunately, the trailer meant no backing up into the driveway. There was also a concern that the lift gate had a 5-degree “sag,” and the top-heavy mill might topple over from the lift gate. I told them there was about a 5-degree incline in the road up to the driveway that would offset the sag, and that seemed to satisfy them.

The driver showed up on time and wanted to park the truck the other way, uphill, so that he didn’t have to push the mill and lathe up hill onto the lift gate with the pallet jack. He finally conceded the point on the 5-degree sag, though, and we got the lathe off first. The two of us were able to push the lathe up the driveway and into the garage using the pallet jack, but the driver was very concerned about the 2000 lbs., top-heavy mill. At this point, I got my son-in-law to come help. We got it on the lift gate and onto the ground without incident, but pushing it up the driveway was going to be problematic. The three of us did manage to get it pushed and pulled up the hill, but the crate was 84” tall, way too tall to fit in the garage door. We broke out the crow bar and hammers and had it uncrated in about 5 minutes. As promised, the mill had its head rotated down, and the height of 74”, including the 8” tall pallet, easily made it through the door. I can see no reason for PM to make the crate that tall other than possible convenience in using standard size material.

But, now the hard part: how does one get that heavy mill off the pallet without setting it right back down on the pallet jack or crane legs? This is where PM really disappointed me. They would speak in only vague terms about what others had done, like splitting or cutting away the pallet, mini fork trucks, hydraulic jacks, but no real guidance. I understand the liability, but this is their main business. I would think they could be a bit more helpful. Great minds must think alike, because I, too, bought the HF 2-ton engine hoist. Initially, I assumed I could leave the wheels off and slide the V-shaped legs under the pallet. They did slide underneath unassembled, but the Vee width was too wide and would not fit all the way through the pallet with the crane assembled. I considered slicing a foot off of each side of the pallet, hoping that would allow the assembled crane legs to fit, as there appeared to be full support of the mill from the full length slats of the pallet, but the position of the mill was such that, even if I got the machine off the pallet, it would sit right down on top of the crane legs. Besides, cutting away on a pallet with that 2000 lbs. machine looming over me gave me that uncomfortable feeling in my crotch.

I also thought I could slice the corners of the pallet off to match the angle of the legs and clear them, and I still think that would work, but, in the end, I didn’t really want to be chopping away at the pallet. I chose, instead, to put the assembled crane on 10” wood blocks to clear the 8” high pallet, so the crane legs would sit over the pallet, just like the preceding pic shows. I still need to assemble the crane of the blocks, but I'm feeling much more comfortable about this. I will report how this goes soon.

I hope this helps.
After reading this, it just confirms my feelings from the get go about shipping heavy items.

ARRANGE to pick up at the trucking depot. Don't pay for lift gate. Go with a LTL trucker and pick up at local dock.
They always have a forklift and can load on a trailer. You don't have a trailer or heavy truck. Get a flatbed wrecker to pick it up and drop it in your garage. They move 5000 pounds cars and trucks all day long. And, they will come up your driveway. Just do your homework and GO TO THE WRECKER office to talk with the owner. Do this in advance. These wrecker drivers can be very skilled. Just find the right one.

After

After reading this, it just confirms my feelings from the get go about shipping heavy items.

ARRANGE to pick up at the trucking depot. Don't pay for lift gate. Go with a LTL trucker and pick up at local dock.
They always have a forklift and can load on a trailer. You don't have a trailer or heavy truck. Get a flatbed wrecker to pick it up and drop it in your garage. They move 5000 pounds cars and trucks all day long. And, they will come up your driveway. Just do your homework and GO TO THE WRECKER office to talk with the owner. Do this in advance. These wrecker drivers can be very skilled. Just find the right one.
Or rent a heavy equipment trailer. They’re awesome because they lower to ground level. Of course, that still leaves getting it off the pallet...

It wanted to swing away from the hoist and to the right, but I already know that, so I tied the base of the mill to the back of the hoist with a ratchet strap and did the same to the right side of the base

20201217-150051.jpg
Sounds uneventful - so the homework paid off. Now let the fun begin.

Congratulations on a safe landing.

We're happy for you!!!

Regards

@Pcmaker - Very glad to see that you got the mill safely off the pallet! Did you, or are you planning to add legs or feet under it? And how did/will you move it to its final resting place? Those expansion joints in your floor look like they'd really mess up the use of pipe rollers.

I already have the mill in place. I used the hoist to move it inch by inch. The small gap under the mill is not big enough to get a johnson bar in.

I'm not adding legs to the mill, it's already very tall as it is. I had trouble getting the drawbar in because of the ceiling.

Back