Getting the new knee mill off the pallet

no way would I lift perpendicular to a screw eye.

The surface grinder I just bought has holes for eye bolts on the side of the base so any load is perpendicular to the shaft of the eyebolt. I’m assuming that the bolt has to be positioned such that the eye is vertical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The surface grinder I just bought has holes for eye bolts on the side of the base so any load is perpendicular to the shaft of the eyebolt. I’m assuming that the bolt has to be positioned such that the eye is vertical?

Are the treaded holes intended for eye bolts? I honestly don’t know. Just asking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no way would I lift perpendicular to a screw eye. The bending moment would be significant. You always want as much mass below the lifting point as possible. Straps around the column or head would be preferable. As others have mentioned, knee mills are very tippy when moving. .

Agreed

You definitely don't want to use lift eyes on the sides of the load. The angle of your rigging off the eye, should not exceed 45 degrees, and at 45 degrees the lift eye capacity should be de-rated to 30% of the load rating stamped on it. Also, be sure the threads are in good shape and fully engaged. The shoulder should be tightened firmly against the load, and if it isn't add shim washers to make that happen. Orient the eyes so that they are in line with the rigging. Angles over 45 degrees, should be corrected via a proper spreader bar.

Someone told me that they might just drop it off the side of the road since liftgate service is just that. .

Here is a little personal insight on “curb side delivery”

My business provided forklift delivery service (not machinery) and that was our stated policy for a plethora of scenarios....

For example.

The homeowner is irate because he had PAID for DELIVERY and he wants it in his back yard / under his deck/ or help me get it down my steps into my low ceiling basement.

Possible lawsuit for cracking driveways

“ Bring it through my neighbour’s yard it’ll be ok....”

Cars parked in the way and homeowner says to “wait until I get there”..

You get the pic.

We would always gladly drop it in front of the garage door or wherever if it was possible to do so.

If the guy’s a whining dick complaining about the cost, then curb side it is and we’re outta there. “Have a nice life” . LOL

Last edited:
You definitely don't want to use lift eyes on the sides of the load. The angle of your rigging off the eye, should not exceed 45 degrees, and at 45 degrees the lift eye capacity should be de-rated to 30% of the load rating stamped on it. Also, be sure the threads are in good shape and fully engaged. The shoulder should be tightened firmly against the load, and if it isn't add shim washers to make that happen. Orient the eyes so that they are in line with the rigging. Angles over 45 degrees, should be corrected via a proper spreader bar.

I'm going to put 2 eyebolts on the concrete to share the load, then use a strap wrench on each eyebolt going to the come-along. The come-along will be pulling on a rescue strap wrapped around the crate.

Are the treaded holes intended for eye bolts? I honestly don’t know. Just asking.

The manual does specify using the tapped holes for lifting eyes
I have just never seen them used that way. Albeit my experience is minimal.

The manual does specify using the tapped holes for lifting eyes
I have just never seen them used that way. Albeit my experience is minimal.

Cool thanks!

They might be Dave, but I would not use them. I just don't understand how a manufacturer or distributor thinks that this is ok. Maybe none of them have had a rudimentary physics class. I just don't know.
1607287015901.png
This is one way that PM suggest lifting the mill, and the way in which I did it, although I had a different cherry picker setup than they do.
But, this is how I would not do it....
1607287136655.png
Here is text right from the manual....
"MOVING THE MILL (using lifting eyes) The four lifting eyes provided with the mill allow other lifting choices, Figure 2-5. They can be hooked directly to steel cables, or used with 1" diameter steel rods, long enough (30" plus) to allow chains to be attached at both ends. A forklift is another option if steel rods are inserted through the eyes."
Why they would even suggest that is beyond me.

They might be Dave, but I would not use them. I just don't understand how a manufacturer or distributor thinks that this is ok. Maybe none of them have had a rudimentary physics class. I just don't know.
View attachment 346306
This is one way that PM suggest lifting the mill, and the way in which I did it, although I had a different cherry picker setup than they do.
But, this is how I would not do it....
View attachment 346307
Here is text right from the manual....
"MOVING THE MILL (using lifting eyes) The four lifting eyes provided with the mill allow other lifting choices, Figure 2-5. They can be hooked directly to steel cables, or used with 1" diameter steel rods, long enough (30" plus) to allow chains to be attached at both ends. A forklift is another option if steel rods are inserted through the eyes."
Why they would even suggest that is beyond me.

Is it just me or is the front to that crane a lot higher than the back?

I guess it doesn't matter since all the weight is towards the front

Back