Get Lathe Out Of Basment How To's

That's scary on top of machinery skates! Talking about a lathe being top heavy, that IS top heavy!

That one scares me just looking at it, I cannot even think about trying to take something up a ramp on that.

A round pipe would work, but only if it was firmly bolted to the wall. Otherwise, it could easily rotate under pull from the rope and wouldn't slow things down much. Besides, the safety rope should be anchored separately from the main cable.

1) I didn't mean to post the whole Keith Fenner video (above), just a link pointing to it!
2) the video is about the moving the lathe on 2x4 skids in the background. I didn't even notice the brake (or shear?) on rollers and as 4gsr said - "that looks scary".

I saw the brake on the rollers and did not make it past that point, to figure out what was in the background. My luck would be that would fall over and take out the rest anyway.

The steep grade would make the guy on the bottom hold all the weight, sort of like installing a swimming pool on hill, the water goes to one side.

no it would not
weight is distributed according to the length of each arm, as long as the weight is in the center of the beam both will carry the same weight

Rent an appliance dolly for a few hours.
You can either rent on or purchase one if you intend to do multiple machine moves. You can get them in the standard or stair climbing versions. I've used one to move many machines in and out of my basement. The largest was a Bridgeport milling machine (2100 lbs. complete). I disassembled it into manageable pieces then strapped each piece to the dolly and took them down the stairs. When it came to the column (1,000 lbs.) the dolly I had wasn't sturdy enough. I had to contact a local moving company. They had a stair climber model that could handle 1750 lbs. It took 4 guys less than 20 minutes to move it from the garage to the basement.

The heavier machines I have moved (by myself) with a refrigerator dolly:
Seneca Falls 10"x 60" lathe - 395 lbs.
Racine W66 Power Hacksaw - 750 lbs.
Jet JSDP 21" floor model drill press - 750 lbs.
AMMCO 7" shaper - 275 lbs.
Delta Rockwell disk/belt sander - 225 lbs.
Sanford MG612 Surface Grinder - 630 lbs.

Other machines I don't have weights on are a Startrite H175 bandsaw, AMMCO Brake lathe, US Machine Tools #1 horizontal milling machine, 20 ton hydraulic press, and a Grennerd 3B arbor press. The key is to disassemble each machine into the lightest components possible. In some cases it takes longer to disassemble and reassemble the machines than it does to transport the components from one location to another. Patience is a virtue. If you think the move through thoroughly it shouldn't be a problem. I'm only 5' 8" and weigh around 200 lbs. so even a little guy like me can do it.

no it would not
weight is distributed according to the length of each arm, as long as the weight is in the center of the beam both will carry the same weight
That's absolutely true ... IF the center of mass is located on the level of the beam. But if the center of mass is raised above the beam (as it would be for a top-heavy item), the center of force (pardon the inexact terminology) would shift along the beam as its angle varies from horizontal. Consider hanging a plumb line from the center of mass. The point at which the string intersects the beam is the effective position of the weight. Tilt the beam, and the lower end gets more of the weight. Tilt it far enough, and the weight will be outside the end support, and the whole thing will tip over.

How about using an engine hoist? I rented one to get my Heavy 10 into the basement via Bilco door.

Back