Get Lathe Out Of Basment How To's

You could also get one of those chair-lifts that run alongside the stairs.

How much does it weigh? Seems like you could get a couple of guys to move a lathe that size.

If you do end up winching it up the stairs, add a strong rope with a ratchet prusik as a safety.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik
The prusik can easily be slid up the rope as you move the lathe. If something goes wrong, the prusik will grip the rope and prevent the lathe from sliding back down. Another advantage is that the rope and prusik can hold the weight if you need to re-extend the come-along for a second move, since the come-along cable may be too short for the length of the stairs.

if you have the manpower to take it apart then do so, it will make getting it upstairs so much easier

I agree. Now would be a good time to do a thorough cleaning. While you have it apart moving it should be more manageable. Even if you can't break it down completely, every bit will help the move. Take your time, be safe.

--Chip

I looked up the specs, says the machine weighs 190 lbs. so not too heavy. I think two guys could easily carry it upstairs for you. Like RJ said "A six pack or two is a wonderful tool for moving heavy or awkward machinery"

I think two guys could easily carry it upstairs for you.
Carefully. That's just light enough for two guys to carry and just heavy enough to hurt the guy on the bottom pretty badly should it get out of control on the stairs.

Just a quick note. If straddling the door with a 4x4 or whatever to winch it up the stairs. You will still need help getting it through the door as it will stop at the top of the stairs.
The outside door is 12' past the stirs door

Bill, the outside door is inline with and 12' from the stairway door.

I looked up the specs, says the machine weighs 190 lbs. so not too heavy. I think two guys could easily carry it upstairs for you. Like RJ said "A six pack or two is a wonderful tool for moving heavy or awkward machinery"

Eddiede, i'm afraid the machine isn't long enough to for both helpers feet to be on the stair treads at the same time, the man on the bottom end would end up have to hold all the weight. The shortness of the lathe makes it easy to stumble with.

If you do end up winching it up the stairs, add a strong rope with a ratchet prusik as a safety.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik
The prusik can easily be slid up the rope as you move the lathe. If something goes wrong, the prusik will grip the rope and prevent the lathe from sliding back down. Another advantage is that the rope and prusik can hold the weight if you need to re-extend the come-along for a second move, since the come-along cable may be too short for the length of the stairs.

Good idea Hawkeye. I can do the same thing if I use pipe instead of 4"' square tube and make a few wraps around the pipe and have someone down in the basement keep just enough slack in the line the lathe can be winched up the stairs.

Back