Get Lathe Out Of Basment How To's

What is on the other side of the door upstairs. Is there enough room to bring it straight out of the door once you get it to the top or will it have to turn once at the top.
If there is enough room, Then find a way to ensure the winch is anchored across the room.
As many have pointed out top heavy equals possible flip that you do not want. I agree with mount it on 4x4 or possible 2x6 or 2x8s as runners One it spreads the load, but also gives you a bit of a handle to help get it out of the door and into the room. I would also use the wood to attach to the top of the table then turn it over and bring it up the same way.
Good luck and get plenty of people to help you so you do not get yourself hurt.

After sleeping on it, I've decided to buy a yellow pine 2 X 8, saw it in half and cut it's halves off to a length the wood runners will straddle the stairs... what ever that length is. Good ideas here, thanks guys, I'm going to consider and use a few of your ideas I hadn't thought about.

Don't be afraid to take the lathe apart down to the bed to move. I've done this to my 9" SBL several times over the years. Doing this give you an excuse to give the lathe a good cleaning before going back together. I would suggest at least taking the tail stock off and any handwheels, knobs, handles, etc. That way, if you have a "upset" you don't break off a handle or handwheel.

Don't be afraid to take the lathe apart down to the bed to move. I've done this to my 9" SBL several times over the years. Doing this give you an excuse to give the lathe a good cleaning before going back together. I would suggest at least taking the tail stock off and any handwheels, knobs, handles, etc. That way, if you have a "upset" you don't break off a handle or handwheel.
4gsr I'm not very good at getting things back they way they were... I have trouble and cause myself more problems than when I started out. I never thought I was going to get my gears back on the machine properly after trying to thread with the lathe.

Eddiede, i'm afraid the machine isn't long enough to for both helpers feet to be on the stair treads at the same time, the man on the bottom end would end up have to hold all the weight. The shortness of the lathe makes it easy to stumble with.

what keeps you from attaching it with some slings to a 10 foot pole?

what keeps you from attaching it with some slings to a 10 foot pole?

The steep grade would make the guy on the bottom hold all the weight, sort of like installing a swimming pool on hill, the water goes to one side.

new (6/11/2016) Turn Wright (Keith Fenner) video on moving a lathe or other heavy machine. This and a block & tackle or a come-a-long and your plywood should get the job done. Probably would not even need to use the pipe rollers.

Back