Get Lathe Out Of Basment How To's

tackit

Registered
Registered
I can't walk down stairs anymore so I want to bring my 8 X 14 Lathemaster lathe out of the basement and put it out in the shop. The stairs are strong, I have an idea I can lay 3/4plywood down on the stairs, remove the four screw in 1/2" vibration pads the lathe and stand are siting on and replace them with screw in 1/2" stud casters. I have a come a long and a piece of 4X4 steel tube I can straddle the doorway with so I have it to pull against.

I know they make stair machines but I don't know if they would work for moving the lathe. Any and all tips from those that have did a similar lathe move or have ideas better than mine would be helpful and most appreciated, thanks. tackit

Lathemaster_zps4knccsl6.jpg

get an elevator installed and leave it down there

That lathe is not too heavy, just watch out for it tipping over from being top heavy. If it was me I would probably take it off the stand and slide it up the plywood on the stairs. Is the basement door wide enough to get the table out?

I can't walk down stairs anymore so I want to bring my 8 X 14 Lathemaster lathe out of the basement and put it out in the shop. The stairs are strong, I have an idea I can lay 3/4plywood down on the stairs, remove the four screw in 1/2" vibration pads the lathe and stand are siting on and replace them with screw in 1/2" stud casters. I have a come a long and a piece of 4X4 steel tube I can straddle the doorway with so I have it to pull against.

I know they make stair machines but I don't know if they would work for moving the lathe. Any and all tips from those that have did a similar lathe move or have ideas better than mine would be helpful and most appreciated, thanks. tackit

View attachment 130503

I would not put casters on the lathe for moving up or down a ramp. Friction is your friend on a ramp. What I have done is to mount the machine to a wood base and use a come-along to pull it up or control sliding down. The wood base provides a stable platform to prevent tilting or sliding off the ramp. I prefer using 2 x 6's or 2 x 8's tied together with cross bars.

I second what Bob said. That thing is very top heavy. Take a little extra time to move the lathe and the table separately. No sense in taking a chance on ruining your lathe with a tip-over.

Ted

That lathe is not too heavy, just watch out for it tipping over from being top heavy. If it was me I would probably take it off the stand and slide it up the plywood on the stairs. Is the basement door wide enough to get the table out?

Bob Yes, the door is wide enough for the stand to make it through. I was hoping the wheels would allow the machine to come up the stairs with the come a ong. My reasoning for keeping it on the stand is because the weight of the machine plus it's shortness makes it hard to handle. I considered it being top heavy but thought my nylon sling put low on the stand might prevent the machine from rolling over. If I leaned someone else has done it my way it would take the anxiety away. Seems as I get older, 70 now, I'm not as sharp as I once was and overlook things I never would before. I'm having trouble with measuring now too, I can't get center to save my azz, sometimes no matter how many times I check and recheck I'm still off .

A six pack or two is a wonderful tool for moving heavy or awkward machinery. A chat with some of your neighbors would most likely enlist enough help to easily move the lathe.

When I moved my Tormach into my basement shop, I called my neighbor and he came over with his Bobcat which we used to control the movement down the ramp into the basement. Another neighbor contributed an engine hoist which I used to lift the mill onto its stand.

get some used kids size skis, mount them to plywood box..make a lowrider sled/box...put it in and pull up..

I would not put casters on the lathe for moving up or down a ramp. Friction is your friend on a ramp. What I have done is to mount the machine to a wood base and use a come-along to pull it up or control sliding down. The wood base provides a stable platform to prevent tilting or sliding off the ramp. I prefer using 2 x 6's or 2 x 8's tied together with cross bars.

Thanks for your input RJ, it makes good sense, I won't use casters now....

get some used kids size skis, mount them to plywood box..make a lowrider sled/box...put it in and pull up..

TOOLMASTER , It's a pretty heavy lathe, a lot heavier than it looks, it's weight could cause skis to bow excessively.

Back