Get Lathe Out Of Basment How To's

A six pack or two is a wonderful tool for moving heavy or awkward machinery. A chat with some of your neighbors would most likely enlist enough help to easily move the lathe.

When I moved my Tormach into my basement shop, I called my neighbor and he came over with his Bobcat which we used to control the movement down the ramp into the basement. Another neighbor contributed an engine hoist which I used to lift the mill onto its stand.
RJ, I have the men power available, it's the weight and shortness of the lathe that makes it awkward and hard to handle, on flat ground there would be no problem carrying it.

Reactions: Guv
You might consider mounting the lathe to a pair of 2 x 's. It would help to add some handles for a better grip. Carry it coffin style up the stairs.

Some time ago, four of us carried a Grizzly 9 x 19 lathe in its shipping crate (shipping weight ~ 300 lbs.) with no issues.

TOOLMASTER , It's a pretty heavy lathe, a lot heavier than it looks, it's weight could cause skis to bow excessively.
not when mounted flat on the bottom of the box....

i built one years ago for hauling concrete out a basement ..used an electric winch

Just a quick note. If straddling the door with a 4x4 or whatever to winch it up the stairs. You will still need help getting it through the door as it will stop at the top of the stairs.

Just a quick note. If straddling the door with a 4x4 or whatever to winch it up the stairs. You will still need help getting it through the door as it will stop at the top of the stairs.

I WAS THINKING THAT TOO....might jus pull the wall down too.

i have a 1" anchor hole under my carpet in the concrete in room across from basement door, for such occasions

Definitely get the lathe, and table up the stairs separately. Even if attached to some strong boards, one tilted on the stairs, the combo together will have all the weight on the legs on the lower side. You might even have to add weight on the front end, to keep things from rolling over backwards. Just look at the pic, and rotate it the 45 degrees or so that the stairs are, you can easily visualize how the weight will shift.

I would remove the lathe from the stand, and bolt it to two 4x4's that are 2 feet or so longer on the side that will be on the bottom side when going up the steps. That will also spread out the weight on the individual steps.

I would also consider dragging the table up the steps on its top. Same thing, that will put the weight on the bottom, and also spread out the load on the steps.

If you don't have one, I would also spend the $75 to $100 for a 5000lb winch, and borrow the battery from a car. Everybody present will appreciate it. Maybe even a few dollies for moving the parts on the level surfaces.

Reactions: Guv
What is on the other side of the door upstairs. Is there enough room to bring it straight out of the door once you get it to the top or will it have to turn once at the top.
If there is enough room, Then find a way to ensure the winch is anchored across the room.
As many have pointed out top heavy equals possible flip that you do not want. I agree with mount it on 4x4 or possible 2x6 or 2x8s as runners One it spreads the load, but also gives you a bit of a handle to help get it out of the door and into the room. I would also use the wood to attach to the top of the table then turn it over and bring it up the same way.
Good luck and get plenty of people to help you so you do not get yourself hurt.

Now that you got some good answers, I have the ultimate smart a$$ answer.
Get a couple of those large foam blocks they use for docks. Strap them under the lathe. Fill the basement with water until it reaches the level of the first floor. Voila!
Appologies in advance!
Robert

Back