[Newbie] First Home Shop Lathe/mill

That's the serial number. You can go to the yahoo south bend group and look at their database of serial numbers and figure out what year it was made. I would suspect sometime in the late 40s. If it's in good working condition and you can talk him down a little on the price I think it would be a lot better choice than the older one you posted. Does it have the 5c drawbar and spindle adapter with it?

Terry, honestly it's hard for us to tell you how to spend your money. We don''t know if you have the money available to spend, and whether you 'need' it or just want it. The taper attachment and the steady rest are both bonuses, But the lantern tool post is a minus, for good work you'll want something better, costing $100 to $500 dollars. You gotta make the decision. I personally can't spend that much.

I may be wrong but if it was me I'd go for the first one . This one is painted up but it doesn't have the taper att and the the cover on the black one is missing. Just my two cents.

Thanks for all the input again...
I would still like to know what the "heavy 10" has different from the regular 9"-10" south bend lathes. Is it just "beefier"?
I think I'm going to make the 2hr drive and at least look at it in person. Unfortunately I don't know anyone to take along with me that knows lathes. I have had some good advice on some things to check...so I'll give it a try. I think he is in the ballpark with the price ($1850) but I would like to haggle him down "some" depending on what I see in person.
I was patient when I was looking for a Vertical metal bandsaw...and that payed off. I have a nice 1950's era all cast (base too) Delta metal/wood bandsaw (gear drive) that cuts great. Took it all apart, sandblasted what I could, cleaned/lubed the motor, new bearings and tires and fresh paint.
I realize a lathe is MUCH more complex than a bandsaw, so I'm hoping to get one that is functional (with maybe just a lil cleaning/lubing) that I can learn how it works first before I do any major disassembly/restoration. The same goes for a milling machine...I'm still looking at those too, but only have the funds for one at a time.
Heres a couple pics of my bandsaw:

IMG_0280.JPG IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

Nice job on the Bandsaw restoration! You should have no problem with the lathe, if and when you decide to go that route.
IMHO, the heavy 10 is an inherently better lathe then the older SB lathe you are looking at. Yes beefier, more mass and rigidity equals heavier cuts and better finishes. The spindle bore is bigger 1 3/8" which is a real nice feature. Also the motor is in the base out of the way and safer, instead of in your face as in the pre OSHA machine. However it all comes down to its overall condition, that you'll have to assess first hand.

Terry,
I would still go with the Green Lathe. Get the price down if you can. It is one heck of a machine. I would go to look at with you but I am up to my neck right now.

Like everyone has said...the 10L is a lot more rigid. With a spindle bore of 1.375 it's capable of using 5c collets. I'm sure that lathe came with the collet setup. I've never seen one with the taper attachment that didn't have the collet setup also. It may have gotten lost over the years. Definitely a nice option and for what he's asking it should be there. The taper attachment is a plus. The single tumbler gearbox is a negative. You have bargaining points. The important thing is the overall condition. I had one that was really worn and it gave me a bad impression of the 10L. I bought one last year just to resell and it's such a nice lathe I still have it. I have a whole different opinion of them now.

Terry, I have a PM1236 Lathe and PM932M-PDF Mill and don't live far from you (20-30 minutes), so you're more than welcome to stop buy and take a look. I purchased these particular machines because PM (Precision Mathews) is only half an hour from my house which I felt was an advantage. But I've hardly used either machine yet... too busy finishing other projects in the house... so my knowledge is very limited. But if you're interested, PM me and we can make some arrangements.

Well...what can anyone tell me about a Logan model 200 10"x 43" lathe. Mechanically in excellent shape - The ways are not worn, dinged or dented, bearings are all in great shape. New flat belt, brand new cross-slide nut, replaced motor (1/2 hp, 115V), new wiring and switch. This lathe was very well maintained and obviously not used much in its life.
Comes with a complete set of change gears, 5" 3 jaw Cushman chuck, 8" 4 jaw Athol chuck, 6" faceplace, Jacobs chuck on 2MT arbor, rocker type toolpost with right hand and left hand toolholders, boring bar holder, and knurling tool with 3 sets of knurls. An assortment of cutting tools is also included.
Asking price is $750
Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Terry

00z0z_5p726iXLglY_600x450.jpg 00V0V_9NxECgrG0dD_600x450.jpg 00c0c_gUeYFb4PqI6_600x450.jpg 00B0B_77AYBQF1mUM_600x450.jpg

Back