[Newbie] First Home Shop Lathe/mill

Hard to tell what its worth from a picture. If the gears, bearings, and ways are in good shape then I would consider it worth it. If the bed is worn out and the gears are broken its probably worth closer to 500.

It looks like it might be a good lathe but it's impossible to tell from the pictures. You'll have to inspect first hand, try to take some close-ups and post them here if you can. Also keep in mind, these machines are old and not perfect so it depends on how much wear and tear you can live with. In general even a moderately worn lathe can produce accurate work once you learn it. As for price, its hard to say what its worth, its the value the owner put on it vs what you feel comfortable paying for it, if you can agree, then its all good.

To me that seems a bit high. Look at the ways . If you can Plug it in and run it. It is not new but it does have the taper att the chucks and the steady rest . For a first lathe it would be a start. Is there any other stuff to go with it.

It's not new but if the bed's not to bad . It has the taper att and the chucks is there any other goodies to go with it? If you can plug it in and run it. Look at the change gears see if you find any teeth missing. The price seem a little high, but you don't get anything for nothing.

It seemed a lil high to me too... I'm also not sure what makes the "heavy 10" more desirable than a 9"-10" regular south bend? Do they usually have Quick change gears and power feed?
It's about a 2hr drive from me...I will try and get out to look at it this weekend coming up...It does have some tooling with it, but not much...just some bits and cutters.
I wanted to get a general idea if it was even worth the drive?
Thanks for all the replies.
Terry

Here's another one that just popped up (much closer).
South Bend model 380A lathe in good condition...comes with a quick change gearbox, a 3 jaw chuck, a lantern toolpost, toolholder, several centers, and a tailstock drill chuck, plus a small assortment of odds and ends (seller says its part of the series of lathes that included the 11", the 13", and so on. It evolved into what is now the "heavy 10." It shares some parts and features with the 10L lathe and with the 9A lathe, but most of the parts are unique).
Seller says the main feature that makes this lathe different from the Workshop lathes is the wider bed, which gives extra rigidity. It has the 1-1/2 x 8 spindle thread like the Workshop lathes, so it can use most of the same tooling.
Not sure of any of the facts he states? He's asking $960.00
Again...any input or info on this particular lathe would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Terry
Here's a couple pics:
9" #380A.jpg 9" #380A (2).jpg

boy, that's an old girl. I'd go for the Heavy 10, as long as that's just crud on the ways and not rust. Take someone with you who knows what they're doing, run it through the speeds, tighten up gibs a wee bit at the headstock end and see if it gets really tight towards the tail stock. Have a peer at all the gears to make sure none are chipped or broken. See if you can get it for $1500 and I think you'll be happy. The Heavy 10 has a larger through bore than the regular 10 and 9, which is very handy for doing the ends of shafts or gun work. Looks like it's decently equipped too.

Back