[Newbie] First Home Shop Lathe/mill

oops... As far as the size of car parts...I won't be boring cylinders or milling heads (but the carb re-boring may be possible). Most will be smaller parts (i.e. bushings, shafts, pins, etc.).
Thanks!
Terry

Can do small parts on big machine. Size matters. When considering a just the right size machine(small) seems I always out grew it in a short period of time. Ones skills usually out grow machines size if machining is your calling/interest.

Contrary to what another poster has recommended,I recommend strongly that your first machine should be a lathe. It is the most versatile machine of all. And I do not mean an ATLAS!!! Get a DECENT machine from PM as recommended. I started with a 12" Atlas lathe about 50 years ago,and an Atlas milling machine. Spent most of my time making tiny cuts that the lathe was only capable of taking,and it was brand new. The mill would cut brass all right,but forget it on steel. I sold it to a clockmaker who only used brass,and it was adequate for his work. Sold the Atlas in new condition to a motor rewinding shop since that lathe was made primarily for truing up commutators.

My first DECENT lathe was a 10" x 24" Jet bench lathe,which I wish I still had,as it would cut a very wide range of threads. It was a belt drive,which will give very smooth finishes that looked like the work was nickel plated. It would take much heavier cuts than the Atlas. I could make parts in a short time with it,that would take all day with the Atlas,which was just built too light for serious use,and had a ton of pot metal gears and other parts that could easily be over strained. I had to buy new pot metal half nuts every several months.

These days,most lathes are gear head.Easier to change speeds,but they leave tiny echoes of the gears meshing in the surfaces of the work they do. VERY expensive lathes will not do that,but you won't easily be finding a Dean,Smith and Grace lathe,nor are they easily moved!! Their 13" lathe is massive. I tried one a few years ago,but it had been run to death,and they wanted 3X what it was worth.

My current small lathe is a Hardinge HLVH,which I was lucky to get. It is one of the finest lathes ever built. A smallish lathe,but hugely expensive. But,it does have a limited range of thread cutting ability. My larger 16" lathe can be made to cut a very wide range of threads by changing a gear in the gear train,to send different speed ratios to the quick change gear box. I found several gears that will fit into the 16" lathe's gear train.

If you get a reasionable sized lathe (10" or 12" swing,you can buy a Palmgren milling attachment to do small milling with. I had the milling attachment for my first lathe,and it worked pretty well,even on an Atlas.

Last edited:
Terry,

I'm not familiar with the bench top mills and 7 x whatever lathes. I know many hobbyists have these and co excellent work within the limitations of the machines. There will be limitations to any size equipment but the next step up from hobby size will minimize home shop limitations.

I suggest, if you have the room that you get 10 x 30 lathe at a minimum, 10 x 40 would be better. Look for a spindle through hole of 1 and 3/8" or larger and the ability to use standard and easy to find collets.

For a mill I would suggest a full size Bridgeport or Bridgeport style vertical mill of perhaps a combination vertical/horizontal mill.

If space is limited than you will have to go smaller. Lifting and hauling equipment can be rented. For trailers look for a hydraulic lift trailer that will drop to the ground for loading.

If you get small equipment you will eventually, and maybe quickly, want larger equipment.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Vlad

If you really want to be able to do carb work, then a higher end machine is probably in your future.
I would not want to do air jet work on an old Bridgeport unless it was in really nice condition. Not that it can't be done, I would just want something better.

I would suggest a good lathe 13" or 14" with at least 40" between centers. This will give you a lot of flexibility. Almost anything can be mounted to a faceplate, and you will probably do better work on carbs on the lathe than an old mill. A bigger lathe will give you more mass to run things off center, and the ability to do stuff like axles and other heavier parts.

Atlas lathes in the rust belt seem to go for 3x their real value just from name recognition. There are some fine machines in the larger sizes that go for cheaper just because they are really hard to move. Sounds like you have a shop that can accept something most hobbyists are not able to deal with.

+1 on lathe first, especially for the work you described. A 13-14x 40 would be about right.

I'm currently looking on craigslist at a South Bend Heavy 10" lathe, with 3" bed , steady rest, and taper attachment. Its set up for 220v and comes with a 120v motor also. Also has a 5" 3 jaw chuck and a 7.5" 4 jaw chuck. Its said to be in great shape? View attachment 120342

The asking price is $1850.00 Is it worth that today?View attachment 120342

Back