[Newbie] First Home Shop Lathe/mill

Thanks again to all who shared there experience/advice...learn something new every day!
I have been focusing on a Lathe (with some difficulties) and I originally thought that was best for first purchase, but now I think the best "first" purchase would be the "first good deal"...either a lathe or a mill.
So, gonna switch gears here today...came across a Millrite-Burke Vertical milling machine with R-8 tooling, power feed and milling vise with a 1hp. -3 phase motor.
It's not too far away...the asking price is $2500. It looks to be in good shape, so i'm going to look at it tomorrow...any info on the mill, advice on checking it out or price would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

Last edited:
Thanks...I went to the site...very helpful. Also downloaded an original manual for the Millrite-Burke Mill. Going to take a drive to look it over today...at least it's a nice day for a drive (about 2hrs each way).

Last edited:
The green lathe AND the black one are OLD models. An easy way to tell is the rather square quick change gearbox with a handle coming out of the top. Later lathes (SB),will have 2 levers on the FRONT of the gearbox.

ALSO,those OLD South Bends have NO separate bearings in the headstock for the spindle to run in. If those bearings were not frequently oiled,they will be worn out and you can lift the chuck up with a crow bar placed on a block of wood under the chuck. You do NOT want a lathe with no replaceable bearings in the spindle. It would be a complicated job beyond your knowledge and equipment to "line bore" the headstock and insert shop made bronze bearings. Period.

Most jack leg mechanics who owned a lathe never had the sense to OIL IT!!!!!!!! That certainly was the way it was at the museum I worked at as toolmaker for 40 years.

Last edited:
Well...I took a drive to Ohio to look at the Millrite (Burke) Vertical mill today...It was a worthwhile trip...I bought my first mill! Gonna go back and pick it up next week. He also had a 10" Logan lathe w/QC gears for sale...but I kinda stretched the budget with the mill. I have to move a few things around in my shop to make room for the mill...it came with enough tooling to get me started

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Congratulations, it looks like a nice mill! Let us know how the move goes and start making some chips!

That looks like a nice mill. I'm just started looking around for a mill myself, would you mind saying how much you paid for it?

The asking price was $2500... I was able to get him to lower it a few hundred dollars, but it did come with some tooling, collets (R8), vise, chuck and I was able to hear it run and see it cutting. The power cross feed is a factory option with a newer style controller...the upper front cast pulley guard must have broke years ago and was replaced with a homemade cover (I'm going to try and find a cover). The head is also a factory option that allows it to "nod" to produce compound cutting angles. The Millrite is a smaller "Bridgeport" style mill that seems to be a good fit for a home shop. It seems very sturdy and cand be broke-down into smaller pieces to move (it came from a basement/home shop).
In my limited experience so far, I have found a wide range of prices for both lathes and mills...so much depends on the condition, options, tooling included and geographic location that each piece of machinery must be judged on the variables to determine whether the price is good/fair.
Thanks and Good Luck!

Score!

When you go back to get the mill, listen to it closely. Place your hand to your ear and lean into the mill listening intently. Then say "What's that Mr. Millrite? Oh I know you will miss Mr. Logan Lathe but I don't have the money to take you both to a good home. I'm sure Mr. Logan will find a new home where he will be treated with respect and get used properly."

Then turn the puppy dog eyes to the seller. It may work, you never know.

Back