Community Build 1 SOSE

Oh, yeah! I figured the grinder would be just the ticket for the base. That looks great.

As I see it, the outside holes are just for mounting the base to a base. Not so critical in the long run. Just a pride-of-workmanship thing. All of us could have done that. :banghead:

Last edited:
Out of square or not, that plate is gorgeous... How many did you make out of square? You could always press in a plug, regrind flush and redrill. I wouldn't be too uppity about accepting that reworked piece for my engine...

I'll be frank, I reamed one flywheel grossly oversize. I simply turned and straight knurled a 303 plug, pressed it in, redrilled and re-reamed. I'm not even sure which one it is. The rework is invisible. In any case, it took a 12-ton press to get the rework slug in, so I know it ain't comin' out...

By the way, all 8 flywheels have been completed. Should I hold onto them, or ship 'em out? In any case, sooner or later, we'll need to exchange shipping addresses. Perhaps we should ask Nelson to set up a private forum where we can do just that...

John

Darn you!! Now I'm jones'n for both a mill AND a surface grinder and I barely know what to do with either. :drool: Shame about the "out of square" but beautiful work none-the-less.

-Ron

Small update, hopefully throw a few pics up tonight.

All the pistons were done bar the holes for the crank pins, that is where the fun started.

I scribed a line measured from the piston top to where the hole had to be at the opposite end, figuring this would be the most critical dimension. No problem there.

In my cleaning madness, I've put my spot drills somewhere (they're no longer on the bench) So I figured I'd have a go without them. Centre punched a couple of pistons, loaded in the vice carefully lined up and slowly drilled through.

Long story short, I ruined two with holes that kicked off centre and I'm not happy :banghead:

I'm back to work tomorrow and won't be home for 3 weeks again so the poor little guys will have to wait, yet again.

Hopefully I'm not the only one with a large setback, if I am and have once again taken any pressure of anyone then think of it as a present from me :huh:

SO when I return, It's new spot drills for me and probably another set of drills too.

Jason

Sorry to hear about the drilling problems Jason. I can't tell you how many times I've had that happen on the drill press over the years, absolutely infuriating. :banghead:

Personally, I haven't buggered up any parts as of yet but that's mostly due to having other technical glitches and not accomplishing much. If I don't have any huge problems hit (around the office as well as the shop) I'm hoping to get further on the cranks. Once I get all my ducks in a row I think I'll be able to spit them out rather quickly - then I'll be sweating out the drilling of the holes for the connecting rod pins. :p What I'm trying to say is, "You're not alone!" :biggrin:

-Ron

4R8,
No sweat and sorry about the trouble. I was holding off to order the drill rod as I was waiting for final sizes before ordering, the brass pins are being made now but I do need a cutoff tool since the one I ordered awhile back came in wrong and will just work around it for now. I do have 3 honey-do-lists for this coming week so I will have enough to keep me busy for awhile.
Paul

Cheers guys.

I too have been inundated with Honey-do jobs. I've almost completed a bunch of paving that she wanted and put up some shade cloth blinds around the pergola to help keep the cool air in (pergola is airconditioned). One of the half completed is a round feature pergola for the middle of the yard, My section roller split a die so i need to turn up a new one. Turns out my little lathe's 4" chuck won't hold 110mm stock ( +/- 4 5/16") so I need to now bore it first and make a tool to hold in in the lathe. No doubt I'll be doing other dies in the future so it'll come in handy later on down the track. Just seems everything I try and do puts me back a couple of steps.

Hopefully a trip away with work will clear the head and all will work in my favour when i return. :confused:

I actually made a little headway on the crank discs today. I turned the 1.125" round stock down to .97" or at least real close to .97". I wanted to wait for it to cool down before taking the final cut as I wasn't sure just how much expansion from heat I was getting. (I know I can look it up or do the math, just didn't have time.)

I now have enough SS "wool" to make a robot sheep. :biggrin: I was having some issues with the belt which caused my cuts to be ridiculously small but it was still a good thing as I got more experience working with the SB. I'll get some pics up when I've actually got something interesting to show such as when I'm parting off.

-Ron

Cheers guys.

I've almost completed a bunch of paving that she wanted and put up some shade cloth blinds around the pergola to help keep the cool air in (pergola is airconditioned).
:confused:

And here I am wondering whether I have enough firewood for the Winter! It's getting really cold at night! Enjoy your Spring/Summer Davo.

John

Just thought I'd give a bit of an update...

I made it out to the lathe today and bored out the future cranks with a "D" drill bit. (.246"). Here's a pic I took of the setup with the lathe running...
I did learn a valuable lesson in doing so, without getting hurt even, "When taking a picture of a running lathe make sure that your camera strap is under control." It never got near anything dangerous but it did snag on the tailstock and it hit me, "How stupid was that!!!"

I'm hoping to have the time tomorrow to ream it out and get ready to part them off.

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Back