Community Build 1 SOSE

Well to say I've bitten the bullet since the 8x16's motor failure may be an understatement.

After back and forth with the parent company of the machine I've decided to stick it on a shelf for a CNC project one day and went hunting for a used baseline 12x36.
What I ended up doing is ordering a 13x42 with footbrake, coolant, stand, 6" 3 jaw, 8" 4 jaw, etc, etc, etc, etc. I have to wait till the new year for it to arrive but considering I may need to cut out some bench for it to fit in, the wait is fine by me!

So, I'm smiling but my pocket isn't (especially this time of year! :biggrin: )

Well to say I've bitten the bullet since the 8x16's motor failure may be an understatement.

After back and forth with the parent company of the machine I've decided to stick it on a shelf for a CNC project one day and went hunting for a used baseline 12x36.
What I ended up doing is ordering a 13x42 with footbrake, coolant, stand, 6" 3 jaw, 8" 4 jaw, etc, etc, etc, etc. I have to wait till the new year for it to arrive but considering I may need to cut out some bench for it to fit in, the wait is fine by me!

So, I'm smiling but my pocket isn't (especially this time of year! :biggrin: )

The pain will all go away when the new toy is delivered! :biggrin: At least 'til the bills show up. :p

More progress on my end. I parted off half of what we'll need, I'm shooting for getting the other four parted off tomorrow.

Yes, they still need some polishing but they really do look better in person than they do in the pic.

-Ron

The pain will all go away when the new toy is delivered! :biggrin: At least 'til the bills show up. :p

Yes, they still need some polishing but they really do look better in person than they do in the pic.

-Ron

Bugger the bills! This bad boy is taking it's chunk all at once when i pick it up! It better be all it's cracked up to be, that's for sure!

Need polishing? any clout can see that's some mighty fine stock there! I'd be happy to polish my own!

(Tick Tock, Tick Tock)

Bugger the bills! This bad boy is taking it's chunk all at once when i pick it up! It better be all it's cracked up to be, that's for sure!

Need polishing? any clout can see that's some mighty fine stock there! I'd be happy to polish my own!

(Tick Tock, Tick Tock)

I'll have to make them a little more presentable before I ship them out. Just one of those things a guys gotta do. :biggrin: I'll be looking forward to seeing some pics of your new toy. It's a dangerous thing though, makes me start thinking about new toys for myself. :p

Well the frames are in the same condition as they were the last time I posted about them, needing polishing. I started on different projects and forgot to get back to them. One project lead to using my 4 jaw chuck which is a project all it's own. I am truing up the 4 jaw chuck and it is slow going with the holiday season and not getting much shop time.

Will put the chuck on hold and finish up the polishing on the frames and send them out.

Reall easy to get sidetracked at times Turbo. Heck, I didn't get to part off the rest of the cranks today because I got sidetracked. For once it wasn't even my fault. :biggrin: I manage some commercial properties and when I got in to the office today I was met at the door by one of my long time tenants. Their office up on the third floor had been broken into last night and they had a laptop computer stolen. I've had my office broken into a couple of times and the police weren't interested in doing anything about it. Well, this one was a little different. The office is used by the state office of banking and the computer stolen had a bunch of "state" information on it. The crime squad came out, questioned people, took prints, etc. Wonderful way to kick off the holidays. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow though, the wife just informed me that her niece is dropping of her six month old baby to spend the afternoon. I will take that opportunity to spend the afternoon at the office where my "shop" is so I can hopefully get something done. Unless something sidetracks me...

-Ron

Never mind bud, That's one of the reasons this was kept small and simple. Everyone has prior and more important things to do, especially this time of year.
When this eventually comes together (and there's no reason it shouldn't) it will be an achievement and and international milestone for the forum and its members.

Yep, I'm with 4R8. We're not on the clock here and this is for "fun" so don't let it cause you any worries. It's not like I'm working at lightning speed either. :biggrin: I just like to post what little I have done to let everyone know that the project is not forgotten.

On that note, I was able to part off five more crank discs. I only "needed" four but I'm sure I'll screw something up along the way if I haven't already (I haven't double checked my measurements as of yet). It gives me at least one big "oops". I still have plenty to do before they are ready, size the inside hole, make a jig and drill/fit the outer hole, face the back side of each disc where they were parted off, and a little polishing although not in that order.

I'm sure glad this isn't "on the clock" or for monetary gain as I'd be making 3 cents and hour and have ****ed off clients. :biggrin: Hey, that sounds kind of like my current gig. :thinking: :biggrin:

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

-Ron

Another update! - and a step back. I had the crank disks made with the center hole but not the radial hole. They didn't come out too bad but I'm still not happy with them. I've learned a bit in their making and decided to start over on them as I have the raw materials and things are going progressively faster as I become more familiar with the lathe.

That being said, I would like to approach these a little differently this time and use a boring bar instead of a drill bit for the center hole. Now, anyone have suggestions for a small boring bar capable of making a hole just under .25" diameter? I am also planning on getting a smaller mt #2 chuck so I can more easily handle that small of disk for facing the back side of it.

Let me know what you think.

-Ron

Ron,
I am not sure if you can find a boring bar that size, but if you can it would not be that strong I would think. I would buy some 1/8" tooling and grind it to to cut from the side of the tool and maybe use a undersize drill bit to get the hole started. I have opened up holes in flat washers that way and it worked out good as long as you take light cuts. A under size drill bit and a reamer would be the most common way to do it I would think. Just a couple of ways to doing it.
Paul

I am the worst about stopping in the middle of a project and not getting back to it.

Good luck with the boring bars.

Hah! You can't be the "worst" as that's my forte, I'll match you unfinished project for unfinished project. :p:biggrin: Cheers!

Ron,
I am not sure if you can find a boring bar that size, but if you can it would not be that strong I would think. I would buy some 1/8" tooling and grind it to to cut from the side of the tool and maybe use a undersize drill bit to get the hole started. I have opened up holes in flat washers that way and it worked out good as long as you take light cuts. A under size drill bit and a reamer would be the most common way to do it I would think. Just a couple of ways to doing it.
Paul

Thanks Paul. I'm not real familiar with boring bars as I've yet to actually use one. I just understood that they are the more precise way to make a hole so that's what I was setting out to do. Drills and reamers may be the best way in this case.

-Ron

Not sure. Are we still assuming 8?

Maybe a roll call with status.

Hawkeye - still in; Main Shaft Bushings finished and ready to package and ship.

Back