Community Build 1 SOSE

4R8,
OK here it goes, as in Ron's case he has a 11" lathe with a .97 O.D. x 1/4" thk. part to face off one side. I would use the stock in the lathe after facing off and push it back into the spindle leaving enough room for the loose 1/4" part to stick out enough to face off with a light cut (if his spindle will take the size of the stock). If not this way then tape a piece of thin mat'l to the outside of jaws enough thickness for the light face cut and use a flat straight edge or something similar to use as a stop then tighten chuck and take off taped part and light face the small part. Many ways to do it , but these 2 ways would be easy for someone to do. I did take my camera to my lathe to make this setup, but got tied up doing something else and my camera is still there with no pictures of these setups. I have a good memory but it does not last too long.:biggrin:
Paul

... If not this way then tape a piece of thin mat'l to the outside of jaws enough thickness for the light face cut and use a flat straight edge or something similar to use as a stop then tighten chuck and take off taped part and light face the small part. ... Paul

I'll have to give this method a try as my poor little 11" SB has a spindle throat of only 7/8". :p

Thanks for the input Paul. Feel free to offer advice any time. :thumbzup:

-Ron

Thanks for the explanation. They'll both come in handy down the track

I think we can do with a update on everyones parts to see where we stand. I am doing the axles and pins and they are done except for a final check. No pressure, just seeing where we are at the moment. Shipping this time of the year is bad for losing packages I guess. Merry Christmas to everyone!!!
Paul

I've just returned from a month away with work.
The pistons are complete minus the crank pin hole, I've picked up some new centre drills and just need to track down the correct size drill and they're done.

(minus the one I ruined, My lathe has now got a dead motor)
I'll try turning the final one on the mill by placing the stock in a collet and a cutter in the vice. I'll make this later and concentrate on finishing the rest.

I've just returned from a month away with work.
The pistons are complete minus the crank pin hole, I've picked up some new centre drills and just need to track down the correct size drill and they're done.
(minus the one I ruined, My lathe has now got a dead motor)
I'll try turning the final one on the mill by placing the stock in a collet and a cutter in the vice. I'll make this later and concentrate on finishing the rest.

I've got to ask, or maybe I missed it (or it's lost in the fog I call a mind :p) but, how'd you ruin a piston and what happened to your lathe motor? Pics? :biggrin:

-Ron

going back to before I went away with work, I attempted to drill without spot drilling first. Fail.
Hole is off centre so ruined that one.

It seems there is just one issue after another.
While I was at work I think someone came around and put some smoke in the motor without asking :angry:
I started turning a new die for the section roller and the smoke spilled out, it now doesn't work.

The seller didn't answer any queries when the belt broke a while back and sure as hell hasn't decided to include any tech support to his services now!
I think it's time to put some coin away and by that 12 x ## that I should have got in the first place. I think I may fork out for a rotary table first to complete the die and get me over the line on a couple of other projects then concentrate on a new lathe. The 8x16 just isn't big enough for what I've put it through.

going back to before I went away with work, I attempted to drill without spot drilling first. Fail.
Hole is off centre so ruined that one.

It seems there is just one issue after another.
While I was at work I think someone came around and put some smoke in the motor without asking :angry:
I started turning a new die for the section roller and the smoke spilled out, it now doesn't work.

The seller didn't answer any queries when the belt broke a while back and sure as hell hasn't decided to include any tech support to his services now!
I think it's time to put some coin away and by that 12 x ## that I should have got in the first place. I think I may fork out for a rotary table first to complete the die and get me over the line on a couple of other projects then concentrate on a new lathe. The 8x16 just isn't big enough for what I've put it through.

I can't tell you how many times I've burned myself trying to drill a hole with out spotting it first. You'd think I'd learn after at least the first dozen. :p

That does suck with the motor but maybe it is just trying to give you a nudge in the direction you're thinking. Maybe it'll be a good thing in the long run? Hope so.

-Ron

I should have gotten larger one from the start but room is dwindling quickly. I have my brothers project vehicle in the shed at the moment and once it's gone (along with the shelves and shelves of parts) I'll have copious amounts of room to play with.

I think i may nudge him into action.... work on it or relocate.....

DaveH,
You asked for pics, so I did remember this time. I did the axles and pins on the Sherline lathe , this was the first project I done on it after I put it together since I got it new in the box. I ran it in manual just to get a feel for it so it worked out good, as now I know what it will do compared to the South Bend. I do like it for small jobs like the engine. The CNC mill I used before and I do like it too for small jobs, I do need a bigger mill at some point, but for now it will have to do. The CNC lathe and mill were free with a lot of extras, so I can not complain.
Paul

DCP_0477.JPG DCP_0478.JPG DCP_0472.jpg

Back