Coffee In My Sugar: A Scissor Knurler / Lathe Question

Below is a picture of the finished knurler after a trip to the blackening tank. I'll create a write up over in the projects area (I'm trying to get a sub-forum set up). I'll title the project "Marlco Knurler Clone" - in case anyone is interested.

View attachment 312746
Seeing your nice work reminded me that Hemingway makes a knurler kit:

Looks interesting.

Wow this is begging for a DIY project using a 3 jaw chuck mounted in the tail stock with the 3 jaws modified to hold knurl wheels. Slot the end of the jaw and drill for a hardened pin for the 3 knurl wheels.... Maybe small 3 jaw mounted on a stick to mount in the QCTP even easier...

Very good guess...but not correct:idea:.

I will give one more clue that is pretty obscure because I don't want to make it too easy for guys like Mikey and DarkZero and I don't want to hijack the OP's thread. It is part of a larger project that I will post as soon as I can.

Clue: 7,7,30

my shop-made one; it isn't the most powerful of the three but it is the most precise and produces the nicest knurls.
It's also one of the most elegant looking knurling tools I've ever seen....

I will give one more clue that is pretty obscure because I don't want to make it too easy for guys like Mikey and DarkZero and I don't want to hijack the OP's thread. It is part of a larger project that I will post as soon as I can.

Clue: 7,7,30

Well, anybody who's anybody knows that this is the DIN spec for a camlock spindle taper - 7 degrees, 7 minutes, 30 seconds. BUT what we don't know is what that has to do with a knurled O-1 round thingy unless you are making a D1-4 rectal torture device! Say it ain't so or give us more clues ...

Last edited:
I to have no idea why a spindle nose taper would have a knurled handle on it? A gauge for checking/bluing backplates? I dunno but I think it may be a fancy machinist's torch. Gonna mount a chuck to it to hold a flaming torch to run in a marathon or be in a parade. :D

Back