Coffee In My Sugar: A Scissor Knurler / Lathe Question

Not true! :) Well depends on how small of diameter. I had that issue, knurling a long piece of titanium. I just had to get creative. I used a follow rest with the carriage feeding to the right. Each piece was 18" to 20" long, 5/8" dia.

View attachment 312873

They turned into this 30" zombie killing spear. Well that's what the owner called it.

View attachment 312875View attachment 312876View attachment 312877View attachment 312878View attachment 312879

Wow, Will, very nice work and very clever set-up. I want to be like you and Mikey someday-not joking here.

Dorian claims that one can knurl an “infinite length” of .085” material which I think your setup would not be able to do. However, this is not what I intend to do. I want to deeply straight knurl 12” pieces of .25” diameter titanium stock.

Will, I am getting bit concerned about your project choices(ice picks & zombie killing spears?!).

Wow, Will, very nice work and very clever set-up. I want to be like you and Mikey someday-not joking here.

Dorian claims that one can knurl an “infinite length” of .085” material which I think your setup would not be able to do. However, this is not what I intend to do. I want to deeply straight knurl 12” pieces of .25” diameter titanium stock.

Will, I am getting bit concerned about your project choices(ice picks & zombie killing spears?!).

Thanks. Like me? Haha, I'm nobody, just an amateur hobby machinist if even that and I don't consider myself a machinist at any level. But there is that jingle... "I wanna be like Mike". ;)

Yeah I probably can't knurl long pieces of .085" dia. titanium, maybe just a partial form knurl. The scissor knurler will just spit it out. Had that problem with 1/2" & 5/8 dia titanium. Once it gets to a certain length of material, due to the tool pressure the rod will deflect. That's what your 3 wheel knurler will prevent. I'll never know though, I doubt I'll ever need to knurl something even close to that small of a dia.

Actually the ice picks & spear were not my idea. For the ice picks I was contacted & was asked if I could make a 10" long Ti "sticker". Those are what I came up with and called them ice picks for all the others I made to sell.

The spear was kind of funny. A guy contacted me, asked if I could make a 30"ish long Ti spear/javelin. No other criteria, said everything else was up to me. So that's what I came up with, made it 2 pieces that screws together. When I sent pics & asked what he though, paid me the $500 with no hesitation or questions. I never asked what he wanted it for but later he told me "in case what you were wondering what it was for, its for killing zombies!". Haha.

Thanks. Like me? Haha, I'm nobody, just an amateur hobby machinist if even that and I don't consider myself a machinist at any level. But there is that jingle... "I wanna be like Mike". ;)

Hey, I'm just bumbling along here. You do NOT want to be anything like me!

Regardless of why you made those ice picks and javelins, they are total works of art, Will. I am in awe of your skills and I'm not kidding. I know of nobody else doing that level of craftsmanship and you should be proud. Hell, I brag about you!

Haha sure we do. Ok maybe not exactly every single thing about you in which you claim but many of us do look up to you.

Wow, thank you very much Mike! That means a lot to me coming from someone as skilled as you! I just try to follow all you guys at a distance, I'm not very good at it either. :ghost:

buddies.gif

Sherline sells unfinished chucks that might be useful for wild ideas like building your own version of this. :xmaslights:

Sherline build your own chuck

That's pretty cool. I'm not sure how a lathe chuck would hold up to the lateral force when knurling though. I'm sure that's part of the reason why Dorian made dovetails & canted the knurling wheels. I did not expect the wheels to be canted.

Sherline sells unfinished chucks that might be useful for wild ideas like building your own version of this. :xmaslights:

That’s nice that one can put together a custom chuck and some of the jaws offered look like they would lend themselves to a project like that but I think Will’s comments about the need for dovetails/gibs and canted wheels is probably correct which would make it a very difficult project for me.

I am starting to figure out this hobby. It goes something like this: you want to make something but you need to buy or make a tool to make it and then you need to buy or make a tool to make that tool...sounds like fun, I’m in.

[QUOTE="darkzero, post: 716024, member:

Yeah I probably can't knurl long pieces of .085" dia. titanium, maybe just a partial form knurl. The scissor knurler will just spit it out. Had that problem with 1/2" & 5/8 dia titanium. Once it gets to a certain length of material, due to the tool pressure the rod will deflect. That's what your 3 wheel knurler will prevent. I'll never know though, I doubt I'll ever need to knurl something even close to that small of a dia.

Will, if you ever do let me know, I will send the 3-wheeler out to you.

I have a Sherline lathe with that type of chuck. Problem is I don't think it would put on near the amount of pressure needed on for knurling. They do look like the Dorian setup though.

I did however scan eBay for 3 jaw chucks and looks like for $40 or less and a month wait a workable new 3 jaw direct from China can be had for a project like this... Dedicated mount for the cross slide, drill and tap the jaws. Can drill and tap both sides of the jaws for two sets of knurls and some come with an extra set of jaws (Would be sure to buy one with reversible jaws to be sure they could be turned around) that also could be drilled and tapped so could have 4 different sets of knurl roller setups ready to go. Mill the jaws flat to have more direct torque and not the "Overhang" of the jaws sticking out, flat jaws then canted on each end. Order hardened shoulder bolts for the knurl wheels.

One missing number. What is the angle of the cant for the knurls on the Dorian? That number may push this into a real DIY situation..

Back