Coffee In My Sugar: A Scissor Knurler / Lathe Question

I believe what @Cadillac STS meant was a DIY knurler project. That Dorian knurler looks based off a micro chuck like Sherlines & Taigs use except the Dorian knurler appears to have dovetails for the "jaws".

View attachment 312835
Will, you are right, there is a striking similarity between the micro chuck and the Dorian knurler. You are also correct that the Dorian does have dovetails(and gibs).

When you knurl with the Dorian knurler you set the desired closed diameter with the set screws on the collar, then use the red knobbed lever to open and close the knurler. As you feed the closed knurler onto the stock it’s rotating motion keeps the device closed and forces the knurl wheels into the the stock.
2A20205B-2F31-4278-AA23-D7F6B65B98D9.jpeg

Well, anybody who's anybody knows that this is the DIN spec for a camlock spindle taper - 7 degrees, 7 minutes, 30 seconds. BUT what we don't know is what that has to do with a knurled O-1 round thingy unless you are making a D1-4 rectal torture device! Say it ain't so or give us more clues ...

Mike, you are correct(damn it), that is the taper for the D1-4 spindle nose:
132CD2B3-CBDD-4132-9675-06780AAFF44B.jpeg

And, yes, you are also correct about it’s purpose. Here it is in use:
3456DC3A-C6AB-4745-80DC-A9B71015DBE0.gif

I am pretty sure it’s the only one in the world like it. Agressive knurling keeps it from slipping upon removal. I am taking orders; can I put you down for one?

I to have no idea why a spindle nose taper would have a knurled handle on it? A gauge for checking/bluing backplates? I dunno but I think it may be a fancy machinist's torch. Gonna mount a chuck to it to hold a flaming torch to run in a marathon or be in a parade. :D

I am feeling guilty hijacking the OP’s thread(sorry LooseNut) so here is the answer:

5A7EFB7A-3D1A-46C8-BB26-4B7B82F106E1.jpeg

It’s just a dummy D1-4 spindle nose for checking a spindle plate I am making for another project that I will post in a while.

FC721391-92B6-4862-BEF8-E9C83EB9A3AB.gif

It’s just a dummy D1-4 spindle nose for checking a spindle plate I am making for another project that I will post in a while.

Wait wut? So wait a minute, does this mean.....

20200206_181100.jpg

:big grin:

Well I would have never guessed if Mikey didn't point out the nose taper spec. I've never made my own spindle adapter so that's not something I would remember.

(Sorry OP, we beyond hijacked your thread)

At over a $1000/ea. for Dorians, I do believe 'Hobby' & 'Budget' have been kicked to the curb.....

Middle.road, I am a newbie and I am taking a chance like our OP. I have an idea that a company is interested in but they would like a working prototype. The only tool that I know of that can knurl long, small diameter titanium is the three wheel knurler. I have taken a risk buying the Dorian tool but to mitigate the risk I bought the one with a 1” shank so it would be more attractive to a pro shop if I need to sell it if all does not work out. So I see it as taking a limited risk and having fun with my hobby.

Wait wut? So wait a minute, does this mean.....

View attachment 312862

:big grin:

Well I would have never guessed if Mikey didn't point out the nose taper spec. I've never made my own spindle adapter so that's not something I would remember.

(Sorry OP, we beyond hijacked your thread)

Yes, you won, but I think you should share the prize with Mikey. It’s in the mail.

Interesting device . The knurls look to be canted thus would draw the stock thru the wheels ? We use a similar set-up in here at work using rollers for feeding our products thru the lines .

Ah, now it makes sense, doing up a prototype to sell an idea. Good luck & best fortunes!

Middle.road, I am a newbie and I am taking a chance like our OP. I have an idea that a company is interested in but they would like a working prototype. The only tool that I know of that can knurl long, small diameter titanium is the three wheel knurler. I have taken a risk buying the Dorian tool but to mitigate the risk I bought the one with a 1” shank so it would be more attractive to a pro shop if I need to sell it if all does not work out. So I see it as taking a limited risk and having fun with my hobby.

Interesting device . The knurls look to be canted thus would draw the stock thru the wheels ? We use a similar set-up in here at work using rollers for feeding our products thru the lines .

Yes mmcmdl, they are canted.

Back