Coffee In My Sugar: A Scissor Knurler / Lathe Question

One missing number. What is the angle of the cant for the knurls on the Dorian? That number may push this into a real DIY situation..

CadillacSTS, this would be a DIY crisis for me.

Here is a shot I lifted from Dorian’s catalogue(https://www.doriantool.com/wp-content/uploads/SEC-H-Knurling-Tools_LowRes.pdf). I am not sure how accurate it is but the cant of the knurl wheels look to be the same as my knurler:

3E52EC66-FF09-4A7B-9D7C-80242FAE1D4A.jpeg

This looks like a very difficult project to me but if you can pull it off I think it will be worth your time. If you decide to tackle this project I hope you will keep us abreast of your progress. If you need any measurements from my knurler let me know.

Mike

1 problem with the 3 jaws is that the center hole ACTUAL 3 jaw chucks is going to be criminally small. I just looked at a 80mm chuck that had only a .63" pass through! You'd be severely limited there.

I'm guessing THAT is why they are using dovetails, since the knurls are cantilevered further than a chuck jaw would be.

Hi szenieh, I have a friend that is a salesman for an industrial supply outfit here in Milwaukee that purchased it for me using his discount. You might want to contact Dorian to see if you have a supplier near you. It is not something you will find at Shars, etc.. I don’t think they sell many and I am pretty convinced that they had to make the one I ordered since it took several months to receive it after I placed the order.

I will look for some contact information for you and send it along if I can find it. Please feel free to contact me if there is anything else I can do to help.

Mike

Hi szenieh, I have a friend that is a salesman for an industrial supply outfit here in Milwaukee that purchased it for me using his discount. You might want to contact Dorian to see if you have a supplier near you. It is not something you will find at Shars, etc.. I don’t think they sell many and I am pretty convinced that they had to make the one I ordered since it took several months to receive it after I placed the order.

I will look for some contact information for you and send it along if I can find it. Please feel free to contact me if there is anything else I can do to help.

Mike
Thank you for the reply and the offer to help- much appreciated. I am enjoying this thread and the work you're trying to do is impressive.

Salah

Back