Coffee In My Sugar: A Scissor Knurler / Lathe Question

Not sure what benefit there is to scissors vs clamp style

Generally the scissor type can apply more pressure than the clamp style & is better for harder materials. Clamp style usually has a thumb nut & the scissor type has a nut to be used with a wrench. Also due to the design there's more leverage applied due to the nut placement on the arms.

I knew some one with a genuine Aloris clamp style knurler & he was not happy with it. Didn't perform well on harder materials & would flex/bend when tightening the thumb nut with pliers.

Is there a real difference between what you guys are calling the clamp style vs the typical scissors knurler? Both have two arms that close on the work in a scissors-like fashion to create the knurling force. I can see that there might be a mechanical advantage to the Eagle Rock type of tool over the style where the arms are pulled together by a screw/nut/handle but in terms of function, what is the difference? I've just lumped them all into the "scissors knurler" category until now.

I own an Eagle Rock K1-44, an Aloris AXA-19 and a shop made "clamp" knurler. All work well except that the Eagle Rock is maybe gooder on harder stuff. For regular shop materials I don't see a lot of difference.

That's basically what it comes down to, different designs & how much pressure the different designs can apply.

I've always called the old Aloris #19 a clamp style. Not sure if Aloris is the actual designer of this style & not sure of the actual proper names of all the different styles. Like this below except this is a shop made one. They usually have a thumb wheel/nut in front of the pivot to adjust pressure. The pivots can only handle so much & will flex when too much force is applied. Some clamp styles have just one pivot instead of two.
images.jpeg-1.jpg

Then there are straddle types. Below are the 2 different styles I have know as the straddle type. However I suppose the clamp style above can be considered a straddle type. The heavier duty version is much like a scissor type where the adjuster is behind the pivot. The smaller straddle type has a smaller adjuster that works much like the clamp style above.
orskp.jpg
orcs.gif

Then there's yet another style called a straddle type. It's the style that Aloris currently offers. I believe Aloris no longer makes the #19 clamp style with a thumb nut. I have a small Dorian one in this style.
55-370-930.jpg

For the standard scissor type there is simply a bolt & nut that holds the 2 arms & shank together. The Eagle Rock heavy duty type also uses a bolt to hold the arms together but instead of a nut the bolt threads directly into the much beefier mount on the shank & is also secured with a set screw to adjust play/twist under pressure.

I don't oppose one style over the other. They all have their advantages & disadvantages. I'm certainly no expert on knurling (or anything related to this hobby), these were just my observations when I searched for knurling tools. There's yet even more styles for form knurlers like the 3 wheel style. Use whatever works for you is what I do, bump knurlers included. Still need to play with my cut knurlers that I bought like 2 yrs ago. :D

$$
$$$
$$$
$$$$$$$
:grin:
That's basically what it comes down to, different designs & how much pressure the different designs can apply.

I've always called the old Aloris #19 a clamp style. Not sure if Aloris is the actual designer of this style & not sure of the actual proper names of all the different styles. Like this below except this is a shop made one. They usually have a thumb wheel/nut in front of the pivot to adjust pressure. The pivots can only handle so much & will flex when too much force is applied. Some clamp styles have just one pivot instead of two.
View attachment 312755

Then there are straddle types. Below are the 2 different styles I have know as the straddle type. However I suppose the clamp style above can be considered a straddle type. The heavier duty version is much like a scissor type where the adjuster is behind the pivot. The smaller straddle type has a smaller adjuster that works much like the clamp style above.
View attachment 312756
View attachment 312757

Then there's yet another style called a straddle type. It's the style that Aloris currently offers. I believe Aloris no longer makes the #19 clamp style with a thumb nut. I have a small Dorian one in this style.
View attachment 312760

For the standard scissor type there is simply a bolt & nut that holds the 2 arms & shank together. The Eagle Rock heavy duty type also uses a bolt to hold the arms together but instead of a nut the bolt threads directly into the much beefier mount on the shank & is also secured with a set screw to adjust play/twist under pressure.

I don't oppose one style over the other. They all have their advantages & disadvantages. I'm certainly no expert on knurling (or anything related to this hobby), these were just my observations when I searched for knurling tools. There's yet even more styles for form knurlers like the 3 wheel style. Use whatever works for you is what I do, bump knurlers included. Still need to play with my cut knurlers that I bought like 2 yrs ago. :D

Thanks, Will. I agree. I own one of each type you showed and all of them work well. My favorite is my shop-made one; it isn't the most powerful of the three but it is the most precise and produces the nicest knurls.

Okay, we are way off topic.

Generally the scissor type can apply more pressure than the clamp style & is better for harder materials. Clamp style usually has a thumb nut & the scissor type has a nut to be used with a wrench. Also due to the design there's more leverage applied due to the nut placement on the arms.

I knew some one with a genuine Aloris clamp style knurler & he was not happy with it. Didn't perform well on harder materials & would flex/bend when tightening the thumb nut with pliers.

Makes sense, I can see how the different designs could each offer certain benefits over the others.

LooseNut, just for the sake of completeness I thought I would throw in some info on the three wheel type knurler that DarkZero mentioned. The advantage of this type of knurler is that you can apply a tremendous amount of force to the three knurl wheels without putting any lateral force on the spindle/spindle bearings or displacing your work. Because of this you can knurl very deeply in one pass and you can knurl thin(.085”) stock if ever needed. I am not sure if the scissor or clamp-style knurlers will work on real thin stuff.

I think this style would work well for your intended job since it would put a deep knurl pattern on your 6061 with a single pass and with minimal stress on your dream lathe. However, these knurlers are expensive and there is no used market for them; I looked for months and couldn’t find a single one on eBay or CL. I eventually broke down and purchased a new one from Dorian. Another disadvantage for you is that the tool post shank is large on these tools. To get a three wheel knurler to handle up to 1” stock the shaft is .75” and to do 1.5” stock the shaft is 1”. I had to modify my tool holder on my PM 1236-T to get the 1” shaft to fit and to align with my lathe center.

Anyway, here are a couple shots from the Dorian cotologue and some shots of a project I just finished where I put a deep diamond knurl pattern on a 1.25” piece of O1 tool steel in one pass. BTW, the PM 1236-T had no difficulty with this job. Knurnling does not seem to require a lot of HP so I don’t think that will be much of an issue for you and your new lathe.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted,
Mike
F8A6FCF8-BA88-4640-8C74-0DDCF3B0C79D.png
D45E9EB0-3FBE-4A43-BA1A-5435AA6C546E.png

DE5C2970-109D-4770-9A16-E5167DE79107.jpeg
2A88AF43-51EF-4F6C-AD8F-3D91B1DEA983.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice, very bank!

Alright, what the hell does, “very bank” mean. I couldn’t even find it in my urban dictionary. It’s bad enough feeling uncool with my sons, now I am uncool on my escape Forum!

BTW, any idea what the project is?

Back